My mom is a bit older and she had me at the age of 40. She is in menopause now and they say that everything started when she became menopausal. Can you tell me how severe this disease is and if there’s a permanent cure, and if there wasn’t what can be done then to ease the pain and her troubles. Thank you

Yes, many women develop osteoarthritis during or after menopause. Osteoarthritis aka degenerative joint disease affects the cartilage, little cushions that prevent bones from rubbing against one another. In the disease, this cushion breaks down and wears away causing bones to rub against each other causing pain, swelling, and eventually loss of motion of the joint. Additionally, joints may lose their shape with time and form spurs on the edges. He most commonly affected areas are ends of the fingers, thumbs, neck, lower back, knees, and hips. This disease can be so disabling and it may cause many other side effects especially mental like depression, hopeless feelings, it may cause limits in every days activities. It is not nice at all. There is no cure for the disease but it is manageable through nutrition, exercise, medication, or in severe cases surgery.