Hi, folks. My friend has been having a lot of problems with his shoulder. First, he has injured it in the past. After many years, I think he developed osteoarthritis of the joint. He is thinking of changing the entire joint due to these problems. What can you tell me about this? I would gladly hear you out.

Hello, there. I have heard about the procedure called total shoulder replacement surgery. There are some conditions where this procedure is indicated. Those would be: osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, post-traumatic arthritis, avascular necrosis, etc. This procedure is more and more common each year. Usually, severe fracture of the shoulder is the main indication here. Osteoarthritis is another common reason. I hope your friend will manage his problem with this procedure. Good luck to him! Bye!

Hello, there. I have also heard about this procedure. Damaged bone and cartilage are being replaced with a metal and plastic implant. Usually, candidates for this procedure are the ones that didn’t have success with conventional treatment. The goal of this is to alleviate the pain. Your friend should consider all the risks. Let him talk to his surgeon about more details. I hope everything will turn fine. Good luck! Bye!