In the recent weeks, we’ve received numerous requests from Americans to fill their prescriptions for Thyroid from Canada. As a result of the unfortunate shortage in the U.S. many people are seeking a way to still obtain a source of dessicated porcine thyroid to help with their decreased or absent thyroid function. I felt compelled to comment on a forum such as this to inform those with a need that our fully licensed and PharmacyChecker approved pharmacy can assist you in filling your Thyroid prescriptions during this shortage. As a pharmacist, I’ve had the opportunity to speak to patients first hand and have been given a better understanding of this grave situation. I hope that our pharmacy can serve as another option for Americans who would still like to reap the benefits of such an effective medication. Sincerely,
Adelaine Saria, B.Sc. (Pharm)

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Thank you for your post. I blogged about the shortage in the US to warn people of the shortage after I tried to get my last prescription of Armour Thyroid filled.
I've found this medication treats my thyroid condition best of all and was wondering what the next step was going to be when I could no longer get it.
Do you know if this shortage of Armour is localized to the US? Do you know why?
When I called Forest Lab and asked how long before Armour was going to be available again they couldn't give me an answer.
Thanks again for your post.

HI kariB...I really appreciate you for letting me know that my post can help some of those in need during this shortage situation. I'm keeping an eye on the situation in Canada but I have heard that there may be shortages in other countries such as the UK. The story that companies like Forest give is that they are unable to source the main active ingredient, the desiccated (dried) thyroid gland from pigs. I've read different things about the pigs need to be in a certain state of health which is limiting the availability of the active ingredient. At this point it's difficult to say what the companies will do. You do see recommendations to switch to synthetic versions and combinations, typically Synthroid combined with Cytomel, but from what I understand, those who have already been stable on the Thyroid, often they don't find these switches to be as effective. If you are able to source the product from a pharmacy such as mine for the time being, hopefully it can carry you through the shortage. Let me know if I can help you out in any way. Good luck