Hello. I'm 45 year old female and I would like to hear some experiences about smoking during the recovery after thyroid surgery. You see, few years back I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and since then- I'm on supplement therapy.
Two months ago, my doctor found some lump on my left lobe of thyroid gland and told me that he would recommend immediate operation. So, I've had the operation three weeks ago and left lobe of my thyroid glad was removed. I must say also that, I'm passionate smoker for almost all my life and I've smoked until I had this operation. I'm interested could I continue with smoking, now, during the recovery time and could this be a threat to my present health state!

Hello. I don’t know why your doctor didn’t tell you everything you should about smoking after thyroid surgery. Or, maybe he did, but you just don’t take advices from doctor like many do.
I don’t know how much do you know about this but I have read somewhere that one substance called Cyanidem, found in tobacco smoke, interferes with thyroid hormone production. In fact- smoking triples the risk for developing thyroid disease. So, smoking probably had a major role for you in developing this disease in first place. I don’t even need to tell you what could happen if you continue smoking, swelling of the thyroid gland and pain. I have also read that smokers are at increased risk for delayed wound healing after surgery.

Rhodes tells it like it is; smoking, even without other health problems, is bad enough. Why not consider quitting all together? Today there are so many things to help you along. You know you'll feel better in the long run.

good luck and good health,
paulygrl :-D

Could you tell me if that lump on your left lobe was cancerous. Did you have a fine needle biopsy? What were the results? Thanks. The reason why I ask is because, doctors have found a lump on my thyroid. The biopsy came back "indeterminate". So the doctor said he wanted to chop out half my thyroid to determine if it is truly malignat or benign. I wanted a second opinion.

Hi Kingston,

I'm on my first week after surgery and wanted to answer some of your questions. I, just like you, felt a second opinion was necessary. But after reading about it on the internet, having two biopsys done and both coming back inconclusive, I decided that it was better not to take any chances and get the operation...after all this is my life we were talking about.

Thanksfuly, the doctor found that the nodule/tumor was benign and only removed the left side of the thyroid.

Hope this helps.

hi am recovering from my surgery too and also was a smoker but after this operation SMOKING IS SO NOT WORTH NOTHING I QUIT COLD TURKEY AND I FEEL AMAZING NO TIRED,MOODY,AND ESPECIALLY I DON'T SMELL LIKE ASH TRAY.. TRUST ME HAD TO QUIT THE PAIN I WENT THREW WAS SO NUTS IMAGINE WITH A HOLE IN UR THROAT FROM SMOKING MAKES NO SENSE JUST TO BETTER UR LIFE U ONLY LIVE ONCE'S ENJOY IT THIS WAS A EXPERIENCES U WILL NEVER FOR GET ..I HAD TO REMOVE THE WHOLE THYROID WHICH IS CALLED GOITER SO DIANNA PLZ THINK OF UR HEALTH DO SOMETHING ELSE OTHER THEN SMOKING TAKE UP GYM,WRITING JOGGING,READING OR EVEN MAKE A BLOG ABOUT U QUIT SMOKING GOOD LUCK GOD BLESS

About 5 yrs ago I had half of my thyroid removed because when I had the fine needle biopsy they couldn't tell if it was cancerous or not so they took half of it came back negative that was the left one. So now I just had my right one removed on the 6th of aug cause it was really big I can't remember how long it took me to start back smoking with the first one but now I really have the urge to smoke an its only been 5 days since the surgury. What should I do?

Hello how you me good
I have a question I just had thyroid removed out my throat in den 24th 2017 it's June now my doctor said give it about A month I still grave my coffee an smoken my step mom said her sister had same surgery I had an she smoking an taken her meds an nothing is wrong she fine everything I see her I n around smoke every other day it don't bother me just wanting to know can I start back smoking cigarettes like if I smoke a cigarette a day r every otha day

some tell me don't smoke some tell me it's ok long I take my meds an don't smoke so much. Email me back let me know if I can r if it's ok an it's not go bother me. R do I need to smoke shorts an something not so stronge I smoke newsports kools long I take my meds it should b ok.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

-i just want to know what was your surgery? is it laparoscopic surgery or open surgery? because i'm gonna have my thyroid removed in a month.

I had a biopsy done one my THYROID, the lump on the right side of my THYROID was HUGE!!! Test came back benign not cancerous. They never checked the left side the lump was so small. A few years later the huge lump came back on my right side of my THYROID..... here we go AGAIN.... another biopsy. They did both sides and the left side "The small side" came back as suspicious. They removed my whole thyroid, test came back as papillary carcinoma of the THYROID. I was told once they remove my THYROID everything will be ok as long as I TAKE a SMALL little pill everyday for the rest of my life. They LIED! EVERYTHING HAS NOT BEEN OK SINCE THEY TOOK MY THYROID! I'VE BEEN THROUGH HELL SINCE. I've felt much better since I was put on the Armour Thyroid after surgery. But make sure they test your blood for everything including you vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels. Ive had tons of problems being without my thyroid. Make sure you have a doctor who really cares about you, or you'll have alot of health problems.

One last thing to add to my post. The 1st medication i was put on before the Armour Thyroid was the synthroid which made me sick as ever. Then I was put on the NP THYROID which is generic for the Armour THYROID, and it made me have every hypothyroid symtom ever, i even went to the Emergency Department in the hospital, i seriously thought I was going to die and never want to go through that ever again, and lastly don't drink coffee within like 4 hours of taking your thyroid medication, I learned this the hard way too. Your medication needs to absorb so I only drink water for like 4 HOURS after taking my meds, take them at like 5 am that way the meds absorb properly. You'll regret it if you don't i promise I learned the hard way.

Hi yes iv a similar story. And I too have never been the same. And the coffee, thank you. I told them coffee was having a terrible affect on me hours after taking the meds. And they looked at me like I was an alien, and so it shouldn’t! I thought I was going crazy!! Coffee sent me into the worst hyper state ever. I had a pure panic attack when rain dropped on my head ffs. I hope you find a balance soon. I’m still on levyo and have to take each day as it comes. And pray it’s a good one.

That's a lie smoking cigarettes did not cause thyroid disease. I just got my cancerous thyroid completely removed and the doc said I didn't get it from smoking

I he left side of my thyroid removed Friday the 8th 2018 and I'm in alot I stress. I was wondering can i smoke a cigarette

i have a thyroid problem have as its progressed into graves’ disease as well and i dont smoke i know many people with thyroid problems that dont smoke so i doubt it always increases your chances as well! she asked a question she didnt ask to be degraded with telling her she doesn’t listen to her doctor or that smoking increased her thyroid problem! if you cant be supportive or nice to people you probably shouldn’t respond on any forum to people!