Hi, my mother is suffering from autoimmune hepatitis for more than 4 years. It didn't cause some severe problems to her but lately she is very depressive and very often she is in the bad mood. Usually she is very positive and calm person so I was thinking if it is possible that hepatitis may cause depression.

Hi, my very good friend is also suffering from autoimmune hepatitis and she never told me about depression. Her doctor told her once that hepatitis in some severe cases may cause mental confusion but only in advanced cases. I would suggest you to talk to your mother and what may be the reason for her depression. Also she would tell it to her doctor next time when she visit him.

Hello there,

You should definitely talk to your mother and about her concerns. If she is usually calm and happy person than something is bothering her and if two of you are very close (and it seems to me that you are) than you should try find out what is going on.

On her next regular checkup she should mention this to her doctor. I seriously doubt that she is depressed because of hepatitis but you can never know.

I hope that she will overcome whatever is bothering her and that she will manage to cope with it. As by now you need to be her supporter and take care of her as much as you can. Good luck. 

The medicationcan for this illness can cause Depression!