I would like to know is there such a thing like autoimmune neuropathy. I am 16 years old and my parents think that I am too young to talk about some things. My cousin has autoimmune neuropathy as I hear. But they do not want to tell me anything about it. How rare is it and what are the symptoms?

My uncle had this illness so I have some information about it. Guillain-Barre syndrome is an acute, frequently severe and fulminant polyradiculoneuropathy that is autoimmune in nature. There are around 3500 cases per year in the United States and Canada. Males and females are equally at risk and in western countries adults are more frequently affected than children. The usual pattern is an ascending paralysis that may be first noticed as rubbery legs. Weakness evolves in few hours or days and is frequently accompanied by tingling dysesthesias in the extremities.