I have been on insulin for 5 years after a couple of more years on drugs. I have noticed that I have really decreased sensation in my legs and I could cut myself on my foot and would not even hurt me.....my doctor said that I have progressive diabetic neuropathy, in other words, sugar damages my nerves and they do not function properly. Is there a way I could reverse that?

There are medications such as gabapentin that is prescribed for neuropathy.  Medications like this may help you get some feeling back to your lower extremities.  I doubt if you can fully reverse all the damage once it has been done.  Has anyone else tried medication to help alleviate neuropathy in their extremities?  How has it worked for you?  Are there any other remedies that has proven useful to you?  Has anyone tried nutritional supplements like glucosamine and chondritin for this ailment and did it help?  Any feedback or discussion would be great!  Information that can help others with neuropathy will help these patients reduce the pain and discomfort it causes.

Apprentice

Dear Guest. I am sorry to hear about your neuropathy. Unfortunately, drugs will only help alleviate some of the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy, but nothing will reverse the disease, since the nerves are permanently damaged. Elevated sugars damages the nerves and the only way is to prevent neuropathy at all by controlling sugar levels. Best, Tom