Hi, I am in serious trouble! I had an incident in school, when one of my so-called friends provoked me. A principal sent me to a school psychologist, and she told me that I probably have a borderline personality disorder, but she has to see me again to be shore. I know there is nothing wrong with me, and I want to prove it to her! Can anyone tell me what exactly this condition is like?

Hi, I will tell you something about it, but I don’t recommend you to use it in manipulating her questions, because it’s better for you to be honest and to know if you have a problem. If you really have borderline PD and not treat it now, it will be much more difficult in ten years from now. Borderline personality disorder is characterized by mood instability and intense bouts of anger. Some of the symptoms are also impulsive aggression and drug or alcohol abuse. If the person with borderline PD is not treated on time, all of these symptoms can lead to loosing self-respect, and to self-injuries. It’s very difficult for those people to have normal relationships and friendships, because of this mood instability, and because they often feel misunderstood. They get easily into the troubles, and that is probably why your psychologist thought you might have this disorder. I hope it will turn out to be one big mistake, and that you’ll be all right.