My friend is suffering from avoidant personality disorder. When I say friend, I mean that we met in a chat room on internet. He explained to me that he has an issue with going out in public, let alone to a party or something similar. I would like to help him, but then I need to know more about these avoidant personality disorders.

You are willing to help which is something good for a start. You have to know that this type of disorder is best treatable with group session, solo sessions and therapy program that will try to help him with his social skills. This can be difficult, since these persons have very low opinion of them and sometimes consider themselves losers. Still, your friend can hope for an improvement, he just needs to begin. You can encourage him to take that first step.

I appreciate that you are helping someone whom you don't know and that is also in this world where everyone is selfish and cruel. Even i was not aware of Avoidant Personality Disorder, until i start reading Blogs.There are many websites and blogs which have good information about it. I am regular reader of Disorder central blog which is interesting.If you need some information about Avoidant personality disorder, Do consider visiting it.!
If you want to have detail chat with me. Drop me personal message with your MSN or Yahoo id.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

The ultimate authority for psychiatrists and other professionals in North America is the DSM IV at this point. I suggest you consult a copy, should be at your local library. The diagnosis will be described at length, including how a professional is to diagnose the disorder and possible treatment options.

Websites are great but I find that this book is the best starting place so that you know exactly what you are dealing with before you go for help elsewhere.

Good luck!