I have son that is 5 years old and he has bee stings. I noticed it on his foot, and next morning I saw his entire foot was swollen. I am so afraid because I do not know if this condition is serious. I would like to hear more about bee stings. Can you tell me how we could treat it, and is there any way to prevent it?

Bees have a highly developed social culture, and many species of bees have an important role in our environment. I do not know if you understand this, but most species of bees are clearly beneficial to humans. They are also the only insects that make food consumed by humans. Problem is that their stings hurt, and can be even lethal sometimes. Typically, bees are not aggressive creatures and their stingers are for defense, not attack. Honeybees die when they sting, I am sure you know this. Preventing stings is best for all concerned, and you need to know that effective prevention means not attracting bees and not frightening them if they are present. Prevention techniques are especially important in the fall, when most stings occur. For the start, try to avoid fragrances, including hair spray, scented soaps, lotions, and oils. If it happens, remove the stinger with all haste, in whatever manner is most convenient. If you see a little black dot in the wound, part of the stinger is still present, and you need to put it out, and apply something cold.