My sister in law has been diagnosed with Sjögren's syndrome. I know that this is an autoimmune disease and that mostly glands are being damaged by this process. However, I would like to know how often this syndrome can cause cancer. I have heard something, but I am not sure if it is true.

Most commonly Sjogren's syndrome is associated with lymphoma, a cancer of white blood cells.  That happens in 5-11% of people with Sjogren's.  There are reports of other cancers associated with Sjogren's but those reports are rare and still remain to be worked out.

Disclaimer: Dr. Emily Altman and Advanced Skin Wisdom provides the content on this website solely for informational and educational purposes. Information provided on this website should not be considered medical advice and is not a substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Communications to or from Dr. Altman and Advanced Skin Wisdom and any person will not be considered to establish a patient/doctor relationship.