hi, i have steatocystoma multiplex i want to know is there any other option apart from surgery? i have it for 15yrs now and its getting worse spreading all over my body.

Surgery is probably the most effective treatment for steatocystoma multiplex, although if there are many lesions present it is not the most cosmetically elegant one, leaving many scars.

Other options that are available include laser treatment (both CO2 and Erbium YAG lasers) oral isotretinoin and cryotherapy (freezing the lesions with liquid nitrogen.

All of these therapies have a potential for scarring and causing pigmentation problems with the skin. 

Disclaimer: Dr. Emily Altman and Advanced Skin Wisdom provides the content on this website solely for informational and educational purposes. Information provided on this website should not be considered medical advice and is not a substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Communications to or from Dr. Altman and Advanced Skin Wisdom and any person will not be considered to establish a patient/doctor relationship.

is there any other way getting rid off the steatocystoma multiplex without the surgery? there might be other options like inject to the body and after few days sm might never come back and i don't think the surgery will help because its inside the skin please give us advice as i am really worried about it if there's no cure for it then i might have to live my rest of live with it.

Steatocystoma multiplex is a condition where cysts of sebaceous (oil gland) origin form on the skin.  They are most often seen on the abdomen and chest, but can be distributed anywhere on the body where are large numbers of sebaceous glands, like the scalp, face, neck, underarms, chest, abdomen, etc.  This condition can be genetic (inherited from your parents) or sporadic, meaning it is not inherited.  In either case, the skin is pre-programmed to make these small cysts that can drain this clear yellowish oily substance.  Sometimes the cysts can get infected at which point they need to be treated with an antibiotic.

Unfortunately there are no treatments that guarantee a cure of this condition.  Isotretinoin (Accutane) is one of the non-surgical methods of treatment that can potentially improve this condition in some people.  This has to be evaluated and discussed with a board certified dermatologist, as isotretinoin is a complicated medication and must be monitored.

Surgical methods and lasers can result in improvement of the lesions as well.  Please consult with a board-certified dermatologist to discuss the possible treatment options.

i have steatocystoma multiplex since childhood, i am 20yrs old now, i've got sm all over my body now, there was only few on my chest, it never stop increasing i want cure from this i don't want to spend my rest of life like this i hope there is a cure for this. i read others comments on sm some says cysts are mainly cause from fat and over weight. i am Asian light brown skin, i weight 7st and height 5ft3. for me i don't think its because of fat since i read that comment i am trying to loose even more weight. now this days i am noticing iv few more bumps on my back and on my thigh i already have few on my neck and private areas i have already thousands of them on my chest, hands, thigh, bum, armpits and back,and day by day there's more increasing, if the Government don't find the cure for this then people like me will suffer in silent its not less than skin cancer someday will die and the government is to blame for.