A couple years ago, I noticed that I had an elevated mole on my upper-left arm.  I got so annoyed by it that I tried to get rid of it using my nails... Yeah, I know... bad idea.  Once the skin healed, the mole was still there but the outer edge of the circle (all the way around the mole) is now a deep red color.  I have a lot of freckles and a few other moles that have a reddish hint to them.  I have fair skin so I rarely exposed my skin to the sun (I wear jackets and jeans) so I don't believe it is the sun that is causing this.  Is this normal?  Should I get it checked out?  

Hi VW,

Get it checked.  It's not so much current sun damage that we worry about, it is past.  It could have been when you were a child.  Since the edges are a different color it wouldn't hurt to let your doctor or a dermatologist take a look.

Especially if you have fair skin.

Good luck.

Okay, thank you!

Any time a mole is changing, it should be seen by a dermatologist.  Unfortunately because it was traumatized, it may be difficult to determine if the changes are due to trauma or there is something abnormal about the mole itself.

Disclaimer: Dr. Emily Altman and Advanced Skin Wisdom provides the content on this website solely for informational and educational purposes. Information provided on this website should not be considered medical advice and is not a substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Communications to or from Dr. Altman and Advanced Skin Wisdom and any person will not be considered to establish a patient/doctor relationship.