My niece has been showing a lot of signs of diabetic bulimia recently and I really want to help her. I hope that there are people here who are experts in the area and who can tell me what the best way is to treat diabetic bulimia. Is there anything that parents and family can do to help her get better?

Family is one of crucial elements in helping a bulimic, as well as a diabetic person with eating disorder to get better. Only the ones close to the affected person can act as trustworthy supporters as well as necessary supervisors of insulin and food intake. If you wonder whether there is a professional help for cases such as your nieces, the American Diabetes Association has known about the behavior for years, and the specific combined condition of diabetic bulimia has been known by the term “Diabulimia”. “Diabulimics” have the same fear of insulin as the anorexic has of food. They know they must inject and eat in order to survive, but the terror or gaining weight overpowers all rational judgments. In the long term, there is a series of complications that can arise: blindness, the need for an amputation, and kidney failure. How old is your niece? In cases like these it is crucial to act as quickly as possible, even if it is just be to proven wrong.