Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there are any warning signs for anorexia and bulimia? I know what these conditions are and I was always wondering if there is a way to know for sure that someone is heading down that road and is in danger of suffering from anorexia or bulimia. 

I mean, how could you possibly notice it? If someone isn't eating or is eating very small amounts of food in a couple of days, it doesn't necessarily have to mean that he or she is becoming anorexic, nor if he or she is overeating, that they are going to suffer from bulimia.

Hi Guest,

Sometimes, the signs are simply not visible. However, in other cases, you can notice that a person is following strict diets without any visible need for these diets. Most of them will have to go to the toilet right after they have finished their meal. 

If we are talking about bulimia, you can see them eating big amounts of food while hiding from everyone. If we are talking about anorexia, you can see them using laxatives, diuretics or diet pills. You can also see them exercising every day, for several hours, especially if they never used to do this before.

It all comes down to noticing their newly made eating habits, I suppose. If you are eating with someone and you notice that they changed their eating habits all of a sudden, it can certainly be a warning sign of an eating disorder. If someone suddenly starts eating too much food, more than they could handle, until they puke, and it goes on and on, it should be a pretty obvious sign of bulimia. On the other hand, if a person stops eating almost completely and you see this person forcing himself or herself to puke, it can be a certain sign of anorexia.

I understand. But if you are not really spending that much time with this person, if you are at least never eating together unless you go out together for some fast food, how could you possibly see if this person is on its way to have bulimia or anorexia?

I need something else, are there any other warning signs which I could notice in these people? What about their talks, their opinion towards food? Can I talk to them about this, for example, and figure out from what they say that something might be wrong and that they might become anorexic or bulimic?

Yes, if you don't eat with them occasionally, I would suggest that you talk to them, yes. But you shouldn't really mention to them that you think they have bulimia or anorexia, that is quite horrible and they would think that you are crazy, you should just get the food topic started and then just see how it goes on. It could be the easiest and the fastest way to find out if something's wrong if you are still unsure about it.

I don't know if I could add any more warning signs to what I already wrote above, and Eating Boss as well.

Eating disorder can be really bad problem if you don't control it or heal it.

And of course that there are some warning signs that can indicate that you are dealing with anorexia or bulimia. 

For example, if you are having  constant or repetitive dieting and you are skipping meals, which is not good. Other thing that can indicate this eating disorder is evidence of vomiting or laxative abuse.

So, if you notice that you have any of these symptoms, you really should consult with someone. A lot of people just don't have a clue that they are dealing with it....

Hey, beside those signs, there are some physical warning signs as well, so I will tell you what are some of them. For example, if you notice that you are losing your weight sudden or rapid, it is a sign of it. Also, frequent changes in weight can show that you are having problems with anorexia or bulimia. One of the physical warning signs is sensitivity to the cold or warm weather. But if you are feeling cold most of the time and even in war environments, that is also a sign that you should not ignore. Don't ignore fainting, dizziness and fatigue as well. That can indicate that you are having really serious issues and remember - you can not ignore them!

Hey dear Guest.

I totally agree with you. Physiological warning sings are important as well. And you really should pay attention to them. 

Look, focus on your body. Increased preoccupation with your body shape, with the weight and with the appearance can be one of the sign. If you have constant fear of gaining the weight, this can lead to anorexia and bulimia as well. 

Another thing - constant preoccupation for food and for exercising also can lead to this eating disorder. 

Pay attention to those signs and if you have them, you should make sure to get immediate help from the expert.

I can tell you from my own experience how hard this can be. There was one period in my life when I was really good looking. But after a while, I gained some weight (now when I look at my pictures, I notice that I didn't gained so much weight).,. I don't know is this because of the stress, because I moved from the city where I was living before - I am not sure. But I gained it and I got really wrong perspective of my body in the mirror. I considered myself as a very fat pig and I started to avoid food. I was skipping everything but the breakfast and when I felt need for something like pizza or chocolate, I was eating it and after that I was throwing up at force. I didn't notice that I had a problem until I started to lose my weight rapidly. So I agree that you need to pay attention to every sign that happens to you, or your body.