Hi, I am 35 years old female and have been binge eating for 15 years. Now, my teeth are damaged as result of disease. Is there any help?

Look, the first thing that you need to do is to take care of your bulimia issue because if you go to fix your teeth and you still haven't take a good care of the bulimia, it is going to be a waste of your time and your money. So, first, you need to put the bulimia under the control and then you can go to see your dentist and tell him about your problems. He will tell you what are the options and if there is a chance for permanent tooth replacement. But you have to know that it is going to cost a lot. A lot! 

Hi, my wife is also a bulimic. Due to bulimia her teeth have undergone enamel erosion, because of exposure to acid in vomiting. She often has problems with cavities that are caused by huge intake of carbohydrates in bulimic persons. She keeps complaining of dry mouth, what’s caused by decreased salivary flow what additionally increases chances for cavities. Dentist cement can be dissolved by acid secreted in vomiting. To prevent further wearing of teeth, it is recommended not to brush teeth after vomiting, and rather rinse with water and backing soda instead, right after vomiting. Reduce sugar intake would effect in lower saliva flow and less dry mouth. If you suffer from dry mouth chewing gums or artificial saliva could be beneficial. Use fluoride toothpastes, to build resistance to decay from acid.

why in the world would you give her ways to avoid teeth deterioation when the real thing that needs to fixed is dont force yourself to throw up anymore!!! do you have any idea about all the other risks involved with bulimia?? and how some of it is permenate! by doing this you weaken every organ in your body that you need to live and to function properly.

Actually, nolasco is absolutely right...of course the answer is not to throw up any more, he and his wife are not stupid! But it's not as easy as that, as any bulimic knows. If it was easy to stop, we would! But after that long, it is no longer some 'teenage phase' that people scoff at, it's a real 'way of life', your body just gets used to vomiting automatically and you wonder if you will ever be able to enjoy a meal like you did as a child ever again. Stace is also perfectly aware of this so i think what she is asking for is 'damage limitation'...

I think all of nolasco's tips are valid. I'm 27 and live in the UK. I’ve suffered for 10 years, vomiting up to 5 times a day, and my teeth are very damaged - the fronts don't look too bad but the backs of my upper teeth (the dentist showed me in the mirror) are terrible since this is where all the vomit/acid 'sits' when you bend over to vomit. I have had a lot of cavities which have been filled by cement but this often falls out and has to be replaced. My dentist told me that now the enamel has started to go, the teeth will be extra sensitive to any food, especially to very hot or cold temperatures or concentrated sugary foods like fudge or candy. Her advice, as nolasco says, was to rinse with water rather than brush after vomiting as you are just brushing the acid on to your teeth (I found this hard as my immediate instinct is to brush afterwards and get rid of the nasty taste!) Also, to chew gum to a) get the saliva going and b) give your mouth something to 'work on' which might help reduce the craving to eat! Plus to avoid fruit juice, wine or carbonated drinks completely or else drink them through a straw so the majority of liquid bypasses your teeth. Try to stick to water or milk to drink. Also, I had a plastic mould made of my upper teeth, which cost about 40 pounds (80 dollars), and I would fill it with milk of magnesia and wear it to bed at night in order to 'remineralise' (recalcify) my teeth. They feel a bit ‘chalky’ afterwards but this is good sign that some of the calcium has stuck!

I am also concerned with the colour of my teeth as they are quite yellow and even brown in places. I asked about veneers but obviously they are very expensive and besides, it would mean scraping all the remaining enamel off your teeth to fix them, which my dentist was unhappy to do. Whitening treatments don't really work as they only whiten existing enamel, not dentine or fake cement. Instead, I’m having 'wax-ups' of the upper teeth which is like a fake backing that will protect the backs of the teeth from more erosion. Since my teeth are very thin and almost translucent now, by having a very white-coloured wax-backing, this may help my teeth look whiter from the front. This will cost around 3500 dollars and will last 8 years. Then, who knows...? Going to the hygienist regularly and just having a really good clean will make your mouth feel cleaner and fresher too. Floss regularly to get rid of bits of food/vomit that may get lodged and cause further decay.

By the way, to our guest, I've read A LOT about bulimia and talked to lots of sufferers too. The body is remarkable at healing itself. As long as you are not also anorexic (and therefore prone to osteoporosis, etc) or taking laxatives, there is NO permanent damage left by bulimia except for the teeth. The cells of the stomach, the esophagus etc all regenerate. Note however, that the build up of bile can apparently make you more prone to gall stones plus for me, excessive vomiting meant I suffered a severe electrolyte imbalance (vomiting up essential things like iron, potassium and selenium). This led to occasional 'short circuits' in the brain (electrolytes are necessary to allow the electric nerve impulse to jump from one nerve receptor to another) and so I had blackouts and seizures. Lots of doctors who didn't understand my disorder thought i was epileptic. I am still bulimic but take necessary supplements to ensure my electrolyte levels are stable. A regular blood test can tell you if your levels are ok or not. Although this all stops when the bulimia stops and your nutrient levels return to normal, of course if you suffer an injury as a result of seizure, then that might be permanent and regrettable!

Hope of some help x

God Bless you all. I suffered from bulimia for a few years and the only thing that stopped me was God. He will put an end to it if yo ask him. My teeth have suffered badly and i still have pain with them, but I am confident the Lord will also relieve me of this.

To all young girls suffering, if someone had told me then what i would suffer in later years with my teeth, i would have stopped there and then.
There is pain everyday and i can no longer eat or drink sugary foods. God Bless.

I hope and pray he frees you all

Hi to all reading and you lurkers out there like me who just happened to do a search on "bulimia teeth" today.

I suffered from bulimia for over 18 years of my life. I am turning 36 this year, and just celebrated my third year in recovery.

I can't stress enough how bad the B is for your teeth (not to mention your spirit, your friendships, your self worth, your Wallet.....etc....).

I had to have my two bottom mollars removed due to decay. My lower wisdoms have half way grown in to serve as chewing teeth. 6 root canals, four gum recessions, chipping and rotting front teeth, you name it. Thousands of dollars later, and I just recently had veneers put on my front teeth so I'm not embarassed to smile anymore.

All I can say is I feel your pain. I have been there and back a thousand times. You can heal and you CAN live bulimia free. I promise!

Be well,
df

Promises are nice. But how come none of these wish-you-well give-you-hope messages offer the slightest hint as to how?

I can atleast know how to protect my teeth, if nothing else...

Guest wrote:

Are you suffering from bulemia and you're wondering how to get better? I don't think that anyone on this thread would address bulemia specifically since it is about how to protect your teeth or how to deal with tooth problems, not on how to deal with bulimia itself. Does that make sense? I think there's a whole thread on here dedicated solely to eating disorders where you can seek out help. Does that help you out?

It took me a while to work out what was wrong with my teeth because they started to deteriorate around the same time I was pregnant (at 31). At that point I needed numerous fillings, a root canal and then my front bottom tooth completely chipped off as I was just biting my fingernail! I was a bit stressed at the time and the dentist assumed that teeth grinding was wearing down my teeth. As I do grind my teeth at night, I didn't think more of it and purchased the mouth 'splint' he made. I never wore it though, it just felt wrong and the grinding stopped anyway with less stress in my life (not to mention less partying ;-)
But now, a few years later (I'm 35) I have chipped two more teeth over little things that shouldn't cause my teeth to break off and now my front tooth looks very transparent. The dentist has ordered me another splint but I think the truth is the enamel has eroded from years of acid in my mouth from vomiting. I wish to God I'd known NOT to brush my teeth after vomiting but it was always the first thing I did - with vigour!
So I hope this thread helps someone to at least prevent this happening to them - when you are in your twenties you don't think about the repurcussions all that much, just the instant gratification of vomiting, so it really is something to think about.
I have no answer to anyone wanting to stop except, like any addiction, you need to want to change. Seeing whats happening in my mouth now concerns me so greatly that I don't think I'll ever do it again, because even though I'm 35, I still lapse every now and then when I feel out of control, but now I think I'm finally done - the cons far outweigh the benefits at this point!

It's not that easy. Addiction is very powerful and bulimia is a disease. Yes, she needs help for that, but loss of tooth enamel leaves nerves exposed and is very painful. There are a lot of issues that must be treated with all eating disorders. They are no different than alcohol or drug addiction--they are just as powerful and cause just as many health problems. A person has to decide they want help--you can't force them. Just saying "stop it" doesn't help at all. It only lowers the person's self-esteem even more and exacerbates the problem.

I dont have bulemia, but i have a neuological illness where i am unable to swallow soilds. I live n liquid food and i was looking up teeth erosion because my teeth are destroyed by too much acid in body from the state of my health. Such a strange world. Some people are unable to eat like me- then others can eat but throw up. Others have no food to eat and others do but have aneorexia and don't eat. I dont  say any of this out of judgement but just such a strange strange world in so many ways. I would do anything  to be able to eat. I pray we all heal. The teeth thing is terrible. I got my teeth covered in composite and they are staining from this illness now- i go to dentist tomorrow to make a plan to figure out what to do

would u be willing to talk with me on the phone?

It's called safety planning. If someone is bulimic they won't overcome such a deepseated issue overnight. it will take a long time. And in the meantime these measures can be used to minimise damage. p.s. it's spelt permeated

If you xont mind my asking how much did all that cost ruffly