My girlfriend was bulimic and she used laxatives. It is now two years later and she is having stomach problems. She is lactose intolerant, she became severely constipated, which was extremely painful. After seeing a gastroenterologist for several months there was no solution to the problem. He prescribed several different laxatives, which had no effect. Now, when things get bad she resorts to using regular laxatives, but I am not concerned about her slipping back into bulimia. I do worry that this is going to be an on-going problem. Do you know of any specialists who work with bulimics and its effects?

I think that your girlfriend's lactose intolerance and constipation problems may have nothing to do with bulimia. She can limit foods high in lactose and use lactase reduced milk and constipation can result from too little fiber or water in the diet. She can try switching to whole wheat breads, cereals, rice and pasta, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables diet. She should also check her urine and use vitamin C as supplement. Bulimia and other eating disorders are best treated by psychologists. Suggest your girlfriend talk therapist.