Hi. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, like I have symptoms that could develop diabetes. But my insulin levels are higher than normal? My doctor told me that those levels rise years before abnormalities in blood sugar occur, develop, or something. Is that correct? Anybody with experience? He also said I will have to go on a diet.

Hi. Welcome to the club, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic 2 years ago. Yeah, people in pre-diabetic state have higher-than-normal insulin levels, due to their resistance to the hormone that helps metabolize energy. So, the body starts producing an excess of insulin. And yeah, before problems in blood sugar develop, insulin levels rise many years before that. Being pre-diabetes and insulin resistant is a reversible condition. You will have to take care of what and how much you eat (proteins, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains).