Hello! I had a bunionectomy done 2 weeks ago and for the last couple of days I have been experiencing some knee problems. I feel pain and it seems to me that the right one is a bit swollen. Could this be a post op side effect or something?

Hi! I am sorry to hear about your problems but somehow I can’t connect bunions with knee problems but after all I am not an expert on the topic. My friend had a bunionectomy and she told me that she had Numbness over the big toe, and a wound breakdown but she also doesn’t know anything about knee problems! Maybe you should ask an expert’s opinion?

you should consider seeking a bunionette pain relief because a lot of patients are avoiding it believing that they will be healed alone. yes, also this pain in knee and legs can happen after this procedure. you are not the only case. my friend was telling me about this, how her knees were sore after this procedure and she was really scared. a doctor told her that this can be a side - effect of the surgery and that this will go away soon. also, he mentioned that this pain can occur because you started to walk after the surgery (no matter for who long) and your legs are under their pressure because you were in your bed for a while. 

Hi, it seems perfectly rational that you may experience some problems in the ankle, knee or hip they all connected to the foot and part of our natural gait. If you think about it you've probably been favouring the surgery side and need to ease your way back into walking correctly. Also if there has been a big deviation in your toes and you've needed an osteotomy to correct the angle of the big toe, you will now be walking completely differently than before the surgery. Apart from knee pain you may experience pain in the thigh and back. Good luck it'll all come right.

I just had a bunion removed and same thing; certain movements of my knee ( rolling over in bed as an example ) and I'd feel a sharp almost stabbing pain in my knee. And as someone mentioned before, it likely has everything to do with the way you have to walk, always on your heel, not really bending your knee much. So it could just be a locking up movement or just out of swing so to speak.

I'm week 8 post op from a bilateral bunectomy and one of my knees is giving me a lot of pain. I have a hard lump on the inside of the knee along the joint line. It clicks when I walk and the more I use it the more pain I experience. I have been for x-rays which didn't show much, and have now been scheduled for an MRI. My Dr thinks that I may have torn the meniscus and as a result formed a cyst. Not sure if it was aggrivated by the modified gait or not.

radebaugh2057 were you able to figure any way to comfort the knee? Mine is killing me and I can't find a comfort level that doesn't hurt my foot worse. The tingling and terrible feeling in the toes is nerves. But I don't understand the knee.

I have the same problem did it get better?

I too had bunion surgery with knee swelling. After 2 weeks my knee started to swell, which did not happen prior to the surgery. The surgeon had my leg checked for a blood clot, which was not present. I am now 6 weeks post surgery and my knee continues to swell to at least 3 times the normal size - think of Violet from Willy Wonka. Uncomfortable and painful. I read that during the surgery the use of a tourniquet may have damaged the veins. I am aware that a tourniquet was used during the surgery as I had bruising around my upper thigh, so perhaps this is the case. I hope to have a few more answers after another visit with the surgeon. Stay tuned!

I am having the same problem. What was your outcome?