Hello everyone,

Yes ive had 12 operations since 2001 all to my right knee. You name it, ive had it done. microfracture, bone harvest & reimplanted after being grown in lab, partial replacement & total replacement. Theres been a few cleanings & other stuff. My last replacement was in april of 2008, almost 2 years ago. That total replacement replaced my partial cause it was loose. This total knee has been extremely painful since 3 months after surgery when i was healed. I cant walk more then 10 min on it without being in extreme pain. Its painful in any position. I have switched Drs multiple times as well. I have just recently switched again to Dr.Pearl in Lennox Hill in manhatten,NY. Oh by the way im 34 yrs old. This injury occured when i was 24 in 2000, a hard fall started the ball rolling & made the osteo become aggressive. I was also told i have osteochondritis dissecans in both knees. Now my new Dr wants to do another replacement which will be my 3rd since 2006. What do i do? Both my other Knee Replacements have failed. Whats going to stop this one from failing? How many Replacements can i get? I really have lost my fate in any surgery working, everyone of my operations have failed. I refuse to have my leg fused together, thats not an option for me. They have talked about amputation, which honestly right now doesnt sound all that bad to me with the amount of pain im in. I struggle to get out of bed each morning & sometimes say to myself if i didnt survive this next surgery it wouldnt be all that bad of a thing for me, at least i'd be out of the constant pain im in on a daily basis. The only reason i continue to go on each day is cause i have an 11 yr old son. Please if anyone has anything kind of input or ideas or miracle Dr let me know!!!

Thank you all who answer

I can so identify with your pain. I am scheduled to have my 7th knee surgery in 5 years on Feb 15. This will be my 3rd new knee on the left side. My right has had 2 so far. I am one of the rare people who's tkr's do not last longer than one year and my OS who is the head of OS at a top Boston hospital has never seen this in his long career :(

My first revision on the right knee took over 5 hours.. I too am beyond discouraged and frustrated. Why should this one be any different than all the others.  Had it aspirated 2 days ago to r/o infection. My labs are off but I have no other symptoms of infection..just horrible pain and because of it's instability I now have torn ligaments to add to it.

Kim

Hi Kim, Sorry to hear your problems. I too (59 male, in good shape/athletic). am experiencing problems 13 months after my revsion TKR. I had a partial replacement 4 years ago, auto accident caused the partial to dislocate requiring the full revision TKR. Supposedly , my surgery went well, I flew through PT, walked out of hospital rehab center in 1o days, no cane or other. Back to work in 11 weeks and continued my excercise routine. My recovery seemed to hit a wall after 6 months, swelling and pain persisited. Saw my surgeon who told me my x-ray was perfect, need to give it more time. Waited another 6 months (Jan 2013) to see him, informed him of continued pain, once agian, he said my x-ray was perfect and come back in a year!! Upon experiencing severe leg cramping I went to my Internist concrned about possible blood clot. He checked and eleiminated that concern. However, he checked my leg and told me that it was terribly loose and that I need to see my surgeon immediately, which I did the very next day! I know, long story, sorry!!! Upon seeing my surgeon for the 2nd time in a month, his attitude was poor, on 3 separate occasions he told me he disagreed with my Internist and proceded to schedule a bone scan and blood work. I did this on Friday and now await the results. My concern, though I will be glad to find out I don't have bone cancer,,, I will be at a loss for answers as long as my surgeon continues to tell me my knee isn't loose. Any thoughts, advice? I plan on getting another Orthopedic opinion, however, I'm told by many that they are afraid to get in the middle of someone elses misdoings?? In Pain and frustrated, Ken