I recently stopped taking birth control pills. I was on them for a while and I was content then I guess my body changed and suddenly the pills I'd been taking for a while no longer worked, well they worked but they made feel sick all the time and I had all kinds of side effects. I then switched pills a few times, all of the pills I had at least one bad side effect that I couldn't deal with. I also tried the NuvaRing and experienced a deep depression. I'm now thinking the depression was actually from going off "the pill" because my doctor said the NuvaRing wouldn't have side effects since it was directed to the general area and didn't need to go through my whole body. So my question here is, what forms of birth control are there? I know that sounds dumb but I can't have the IUD because I've never had children, although I'd like them soon. I also want to avoid any kind of birth control pill. The implant is too weird for me and condoms alone seem too risky since we're not completely ready for children yet. Any help?

Hi Rainy: What did you mean when you said "I can't have the IUD because I've never had children.."?! You can have an IUD at anytime!!

Also no use going through having a IUD if you are thinking of having children in the near future. Condoms and are a VERY reliable form of contraception, I just found a Consumers Report on the most reliable here they are:

CR recommends choosing from among the highest-rated condoms using price or performance as a guide. The highest-rated models are: Durex Extra Sensitive Lubricated Latex; Durex Performax Lubricated; Lifestyles Classic Collection Ultra Sensitive Lubricated; TheyFit Lubricated; Trojan Extended Pleasure Climax Control Lubricant; Trojan Non-Lubricated; and Trojan Ultra Pleasure Spermicidal Lubricant.

When Condoms are used correctly they are 98% effective, the pill is 99%, and lets face facts, there is a LOT of benefits for using the condom over the pill!

So have your husband use a condom, you don't have to worry about side affects and you can stop using a condom JUST like that!!!! When you are ready! Also get condoms with no latex, more and more women are allergic to latex. AND spermicide does NOT increase the effectiveness of a condom and can actually cause UTI!!!!'s Good luck Hope this puts your mind to rest and helped you a bit!!?

Thank you for your reply bambi! I think the reason I feel that condoms are not as effective are because I actually AM allergic to latex. We've tried the Trojan Supra condoms which are latex free but those actually came off quite a few times. At this point I was still on the pill though.. it's just a little unpleasant having to have him fish them out (tmi!). I looked online to see if this was a common complaint and it sure was! I'm not really into the whole animal products for condoms either, that's just too weird for me. I was researching non-latex condoms and there is a new type out that isn't made of polyurethane so we'll try those soon. I was unaware that someone who hasn't had a child could get an IUD. But that is good to know! Thank you! :-)