i was wondering if i get on birth control when could i start being sexually active and how long does it take for the birth control to fully kick in? should i still use a condom?

You can be sexually active on the first day that you start birth control, but you must use a condom, because it can take a month or so before your birth control pills fully work.....Then you should still use a condom just incase even after that month due to the fact that birth control pills could fail, or you miss or take them late, this just give you better protection if you continue to use both....

Actually, you only need to use birth control for one full week for it to be effective.

IF you start the pill on the sunday after your period starts, it is effective immediately.

You only need to be on it for one full week to be protected against pregnancy, this will be on your pill pack info leaflet =)

you only need to be on birth control for 7 days and it will be effective - and you'll be protected. You'll be most protected after the first month though. It's a myth about having to wait 1 month until you can have unprotected sex. They just suggest that you wait that long to be careful. but if you take your pill the sunday after you got your period, your safe.

:-)

ACTUALLY, if you read the pamphlet in your bc pack if you are a first day starter (start your first pack within the first 24 hrs of your period) you don't not need to use any other means of protection. but if you are a sunday starter, (start tyhe first pack of pills the first sunday after your period starts) you need to use other protection for the first 7 days. :-D

What about if the man ejaculates inside the woman if she's on birth control? Is that the same statistics?

if i started birth control the day after my period ended is it effective immediately or do i wait the 7 days?

If you are starting on the first Sunday after your period starts, you ABSOLUTELY MUST use a back-up method of protection, such as condoms and/or spermicide. If you are starting on the first day of your period, you will be immediately protected.

spermicide is no longer a viable means of birth control. the more recent studies have shown that they aren't effective and they have a high rate of causing irritation for the women. you typically won't even find condoms with spermicide in them anymore.

You guys in the top are terrible advisers!!! Thanks for really bad advice to those poor people who believed you.

It's a minimum of 7 days consistently. A month is much better. Remember, you don't only have to worry about pregnancy, but if you're w/ multiple partners, you better remember HPV is extremely likely or worse STDs. Do NOT allow it "immediately" because that's just asking to be pregnant.

7 DAYS or longer preferrably, especially once you just started. Your body is adjusting to it.

If you want to be really good, wait till you're married. Then you won't have to worry as much about the diseases and then you could just be emotionally attached to one person in the way it was intended to be. There's no need to invite more problems than you have. But, if you do get pregnant & not married, I really suggest keeping it. I aborted and it was the most painful (physically and emotionally) experience... It really felt like a soul was ripped out of me. It's super depressing and it takes about 2 years to get the grieving out of you. And now, all I dream about is having a baby the last 5 years. The ironies of life... sheesh...

what if you started birth control on the day your period started.. does the 7 days rule still apply or should you wait longer?

Speaking from personal experience, save yourself a lot of worry and ALWAYS USE A CONDOM.

I have been on BC for over 4 years and never miss a pill and right now I'm dealing with an "Am I? Am I not?" situation. Though BC is 99% effective, there's always a chance that the tiny 1% could be you. (Not to mention you're not protected from STDs without a condom.

so if i take my birth control for 4 days and then have sex with a condom, am i protected?

This drivel is completely unrelated to the question asked.

To the original asker:

Birth control is fully effective 7 days if you start on the Sunday after your period ends. It is immediately effective if started the day after your period ends.

me and my boyfriend have been having sex for about a year. and just last night our first condom break happened. he didnt cum but of course i freaked out! so i got plan b just to be safe and took it today. now that i'm not worried anymore i shud start taking birth control (which i was never on) but i honestly dont know when, what kind, or anything much about it. can i get some help?