So I've been on yaz bc for about 4 years!! It was the first week of my new pill pack and I hadn't missed any and had taken them around 11:30-12:30 every day up until I had unprotected sex with a guy. My problem is i was drunk and don't really remember but I am pretty sure he came in me. I continued to take my pills after but then got sick and now i'm on antibiotics!! My questions are 1. What are my chances of pregnancy and 2. Do my antibiotics now have an effect on my unprotected sex? PLEASE HELP IM FREAKING OUT!! i never have unprotected sex i didn't mean to =((

Gods preserve us from the media. Is it that time of the month? Why in the last two days have we had three posts referring to sex PROTECTED by the most effective form of birth control pill known to mankind as 'unprotected'?

Barring the reply to the second question, you still haven't had unprotected sex. You sound like a scared little girl - you're years past puberty (I strongly hope), nature's 'you're an adult now program' - so being responsible only half the time isn't entirely being responsible, is it? And no, it's not your birth control I'm worried about. You got that right, even if you don't know how or why, at least.

The pill is rated at roughly 97% effective, that means that out of a hundred women using it in any given year, having sex every day (just think, 365 possible partners, or just one loving one) 3 might get pregnant. The condom is the second most popular method, rated maybe at around 90 - but - guess what - if you weren't on the pill, and therefore protected, people who rely on the condom somehow forget, get drunk, it breaks, put it on too late, don't put it on at all, and so it's not the condom that fails, but the human.

So no, you didn't have unprotected sex, because you were on a program that didn't rely on you to be in control, provided you stuck with the program.

Here's the catch: being ill isn't generally regarded as affecting birth control, but mixing drugs may be: so check out the manufacturer's website and product specifications for known issues with antibiotics. If it says your safe, you're safe. If it says you're at risk, and this was less than three days ago, then you still have the option of for example Plan B, and if you do get pregnant, you have the right to a termination.

ps: there's a reason grown up sound like your parents: it's not that we were better behaved, it's that we were just as stupid, and thank god we survived: some don't.

Thank you for replying! I'm on Amoxicillin and it says it has an effect on bc pills =/ does that mean i could still get pregnant even though i started the medicine like 4 days afterwards? I don't really understand the whole antibiotic/ birth control thing

We're going down a rather complex path, here: interaction of medication and birth control, so frankly the only 'experts' will be the manufacturers. If it declares that there is an effect, then clearly you need to take that seriously. At this point, there is nothing further you can do retrospectively. You will just have to see how it pans out.

For the future, when you're on medication like that, you will do well to use condoms for safety, and remember you always have Plan B or equivalent (Plan B being most effective on the day after, but effective within three days); and you do have the right to termination, so you're a long way from actually having a baby, or even having anyone know.

And for the record, we all did stupid things when we were young: and it's a cliche, but we don't want to see young people getting hurt.

You were sensible enough to be on birth control. Let's hope that takes care of the current situation, and good luck, in the future.