While I was playing basketball I was punched in the face. Now I look awful, my face is all twisted and swollen and right under my left eye is an enormously big bruise. I believe it’s just a bruise, but some of my friends call it ‘black eye’. Is it possible that I have hurt my eye? Should I see a doctor?

Whenever your face is injured, it is most likely that the area around the eyes will end up swollen. No matter how bad it may look, this injury is in most cases not dangerous. Due to the looseness of the skin around the eyes this part of the face easily accumulates blood and bodily fluids. The bruise created is known as ecchymosis and its colour is the reason why this type of injury has this name. Since all the blood from the areas which are hurt concentrates around your eyes, this really can look ugly and more frightening than it really is. After all measures you have probably taken immediately after you were punched in the face you can expect your bruise to start healing very soon. However, on some occasions ‘black eye’ indicates more serious injuries, e.g. skull fracture, or hyphema, a bleeding within the eye which can reduce vision. If you can spot blood in the white or the coloured part of the eye or if you have vision problems and you are experiencing bleeding from your nose or eye, don’t hesitate to inform your doctor.