I was punched in the face, actually in the eye, and my face was a real mess at that time. The area around the eye was all red and swollen and I had difficulties with opening my eye. The place almost healed in about two weeks, but then something strange happened. The symptoms occurred again - on both eyes. My eyelids are now all purple and swollen and it feels as if something fell in my eyes - both of them. Since both eyes are affected I think this can’t be connected to the previous injury. Or can it? What to do with the eyelids?

It is probably just a coincidence that these symptoms immediately follow your previous eye injury. Your current problem is known as blepharitis or inflammation of the eyelids. The symptoms are swollen eyelids, red or purple colour, itchiness, sensation of foreign body in the eye, burning, pain, crusts, vision changes etc. You probably have anterior blepharitis and it may have been caused by bacteria or scalp dandruff. It is also possible that you have a delayed allergic reaction to some chemicals and in this case it can be associated with your previous injury (if you used creams or ointments to soothe the pain and reduce the symptoms). Check your condition with ophthalmologist, he will recommend the right treatment. The essential thing is to keep the lids as clean as possible. The first step is to clean your lids with pads dipped in water or special solution prescribed by the doctor. Then you will apply creams and massage the lids with clean fingers (the importance of hygiene in this case cannot be stresses enough). Antibiotics are one option, and some doctors prescribe steroids to control the inflammation. Blepharitis, unfortunately, tends to reoccur, so these measures are to be applied all the time, not only during the outbreak of the symptoms.

I might have the answer for you. I'm copying the following post because it turned out to be the same diagnosis for me: "Doctors FINALLY found out my eye swelling, itchiness, and dry eyes was caused by strep germs--or staph, BOTH can do this to your eyes, and it's nearly impossible to tell which without a biopsy or something, but they are both treated the same way--with oral antibiotic. It is dangerous (in rare cases) to let this go on without treatment, for fear of spreading the strep/staph into the brain, my eye doctor said. For me, it took two courses of antibiotic pills to clear it completely up. I never knew until this that the same germs that can cause strep throat can cause eye infection! That, and staph, can enter your skin around the eye area through the slightest scratch or opening. (In my case, I suspect it was from my tweezer. Now, I sterilize it in the dishwasher once a week.) I tried over the counter antibiotic cream, and that made it worse. The doctor said I should have used ointment, not cream... but he preferred I just take the oral antibiotics. Also, because of the damage done from getting this more than once, I now have dry eyes. This good eye doctor I found who helped me discover the strep/staph (instead of just writing it off as blepharitis) also advised me to only use eye drops containing "cellulose" since that helps soothe dry eyes the best. Just like with blepharitis, strep or staph eye infections is soothed during healing, by soaking your eyes in clean bath water/shower as warm as you can stand it, and/or moist hot compresses, such as a soft washcloth and very warm water. Eye drops help the soreness. Anti-inflammatories of your choice (aspirin, ibuprofen) help the swelling and the pain. But if your body can't fight off the strep or staph on it's own, you will require oral antibiotics. Remember, strep and staph germs are EVERYWHERE. If they invade your eye, you will get symptoms and need treatment."