I was eating dinner at home and looking at my plate when I was punched in the face, full strength, by my sister's fiance. I was punched ONCE ONLY (this is important), 60 hours ago now, right underneath my right eye. I was sitting down- he was standing up, and weighs maybe 220 lbs, whereas I weigh 155. I was not chewing food when I was punched. The heaviest bruising is right underneath the eye; the cheek is also bruised/swollen but the pain and numbness have worn off. My nose was also hit with this punch, but did not break. The punch "slid" into my nose and lip, as I was hit on a 45 degree angle to the right of me while facing forward, the punch coming in at a downward angle. It's a square table, and he simply stood up and punched me without a word, but this is outside the point, other than to highlight the fact that it was just one punch, and to help you visualize the angle of impact in the case that this is relevant information. My lip, the real concern at hand, is not swollen anymore, however it is NUMB. It feels EXACTLY as one would an hour after leaving a dentist's office, HOWEVER, this numbness has not worn off AT ALL, and has been exactly the same in severity since the punch. FURTHERMORE, the numbness is isolated strictly to the triangle that is formed by the lines of the right upper lip right down to beyond the corner of my lips. Although my cheek had been just as numb at first, it has since regained most of its feeling, which leaves me wondering if I may have suffered "entrapped nerve damage" or something of the sort. The "numb" area also includes a part of my nose, which I have refrained from mentioning till now for the sake of conciseness. It too is sharply defined by the "triangle based pyramid" created by the bottom flare of my nose and its bridge. The numbness is the same on the inside. The nose cartilage is NOT swollen. Although my teeth did hurt I can chew food fine now. WHY WONT THIS NUMBNESS START WEARING OFF, and why is it so "well defined", or confined to the aforementioned area(s)??? (............if relevant............. i did bleed instantly after the punch; i iced for two and a half hours almost immediately after the incident; I went to the emergency room 5 hours after that to have it looked at, but all they did was shine blue light in my mouth and make me read the letter chart before sending me on my way. )

I think you are missing a very important point here. You need to file charges against your sister's fiancee. Do it now. Go to the police station if the police response is too slow. Based on your affidavit, and visual assessment of the injury to your face, the police can place your sister's fiancee under arrest for assault. You need to do this not just for you, but also for your sister. Violent man like your sister's fiancee will eventually physically abuse your sister, if he has not already done so. Many cases have even led to murder. Next, you need to file a civil suit against your sister's fiancee for medical expenses and life long suffering incurred by the injury.

Your nerves suffered trauma just as did the rest of the tissues. They need time to recover as well. It is unlikely that you have an entrapped nerve based on your description of the injuries. There are quite a few nerve bundles in the face and it is likely that the punch traumatized a bundle that leads to that area. If it continues then see your doctor.

Also, follow hoseclamps advice. It does not matter why he hit you. The punch itself is an assault and battery. I've been on too many calls where the police ask the victim to file charges but he/she won't. Do you want this guy in your family? What if it was your sister that he'd hit? Don't keep quiet for the "sake of the family" or anything like that. I'm betting he'll punch your sister sooner rather than later, if he hasn't already.

Hope you feel better. Keep us updated.

I agree. You need to press charges against this man. The numbness is not as important, as it is likely to go away. I don't care who he is--no one should hit you in the face like that, regardless of what happened. UNless you came at him with a knife, that's not acceptable. You may not have the support of anyone else in your family, but do it. It's for your safety and your sister's. Let us know, okay?

Help!
Same exact injury happend to me, except i was mugged, its been a week and my lip is still numb as some of my upper right teeth.
I dont know whats going on, when will it go away??, ive been told that some nerves are injured and this affected my sensibility, it take time to heal, but sometimes it feels swollen and the pain is really anoying. How much more can i expect this numbness.

yeah i got the same injury...just wondering how long the numbness lasted for other people who have had this? its really annoying.

similar story here ! except I was kneed in my right side of the face during karate sparing. I ignored it for the first 24 hrs, then I realised that the numbness wasn't going away so I went to my family doctor. I had X-Rays done, and they told me it's unlikely that i have a fracture. it's now been 4 days, and the numbness has not improved at all ! I'm going to see a specialist in few days time.. I pray to god it's nothing serious :-( I can't stand the numbness at all !

it's very annoying and frustrating. I'm so angry at the person who did this to me. we were clearly instructed not to use heavy force in class :-(

same thing happened to me 5-6 weeks ago. i was playing basketball when some body accidentally head butted me on the CHEEK!!!
i went to the ER for a mild concussion and cheek contussion, luckily nothing was broke. But til this day I have a slight right swollen cheek, no pain. its embarrassing when i see it in the morning and some people notices it when they look at me. I went to a doctor today and he said that it might be scar tissue inside the cheek and may be there forever!!! im really pissed off right now and depressed...can anyone help has this happened to anyone? My doctoris referring me to a Ear,Nose, & throat Specialist..i hope they can help...this sucks!!!

Hey i looked and the date on this thread is old but i have the EXACT same thing on the opposite side of my face, got hit in a similar way, and its been a couple days, i only need to know did the numbness ever just go away or did you have to get something checked out?? please respond if you see this

Sounds like injuries to branches of the trigeminal nerve, and can take a long time to heal, but would still suggest a referral to an oral surgeon for intervention if necessary as the more damaged they are, less likely they'd heal on their own, or heal at all.

I got a elbow to the bottom of my left eye playing basketball. It caused my lip to go numb for about 2 hours. It went away however, my left side of my nose is numb. When I move my upper lip down and to the opposite side (Right) I feel a weird tingling pulling feeling from the eye crease where the eye meets the nose. It moves down from there all the way down to the nostril. I keep getting sharp pains in the nose area as well. I was not hit anywhere but the bottom of my eye.

I think you should checkup Doctor one time.

My boyfriend "claims" that he elbowed me on Cinco De Mayo of 2012. However, it's been 11 days now & my eye is still black n blue along with my eyeball being beat red and my entire right side of my face being absolutely numb!!! What do I do? I lied to my grandmoher n covered up the bruising after 10 days w make up. She only saw the redness on my eyeball n says I could have an anyuerism.. I am scared & don't know wtf to do! I am pissed & in tears at the same time. Yes I should have put him in jail, but he is going thru a custody battle n if he goes to jail, his son will go to foster care! I know this sort of man should not have custody of a 4 yr old anyway, but his mother is in jail & I don't want this child to go to foster care!!! What can I do????

This happen to me to but I was jumped by 6 people does anyone know what to do? As ds the swelling go away ?!

Just had the same thing happened to mr last week. So I wanted to ask how long did it last