Is it true that a black eye is also called echymosis? Recently I injured my eye and did not go to my doctor. The eye did not hurt me at all, but I have bruised the tissue around it. I would like to know more about ecchymosis?

Yes, ecchymosis is the other name for black eye. You need to go to your doctor and get that eye examined. Just because it does not hurt you it does not mean that everything is ok. It is always better to check it, just in case. Eye injuries can be serious and they are usually quite painful. They are a common cause of loss of vision in children. They are usually caused during some sport activity. Ecchymosis, or more commonly known as a black eye, usually occurs from some type of injury to the eye, when the tissue around the eye becomes bruised. Your physician needs to examine the eye closely to make sure there is no damage to the eye. I should mention that eye injuries are the most common cause of losing sight in young children. I am not saying that it will happen to you, but you still need to go to your doctor.