I'm a 19 year old male and I haven't been physically well for some time. I tend to get a bloated feeling either immediately or a couple of hours after eating, because of this I have to sit-up at night to go to sleep. Accompanying this is an overwhelming feeling of weakness throughout my body (sometimes with palpitations). I've always been quite lanky/skinny (it runs in my family) but unlike other members of my family I can't put on any weight. I've had blood tests done (all fine), I've had x-rays, EKG's etc. Everything has come back normal (b12 is within a healthy range but on the low end <- I'm a vegetarian). This is exceptionally distressing for me, because it's affected my quality of life. Family-history wise My father has ceoliac disease, my mother has had ulcers and has had her gall-bladder removed. Any help or ideas would be greatly obliged.

(there are other symptoms but these are the most obvious, distressing and common.)

Without knowing what you eat as a vegetarian, I will have to make a guess as to why you have problem gaining weight. An adequate caloric intake is important if one wants to maintain body weight and to gain weight. This applies to both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. Good sources of high calorie food include rice, potatoes, yam, bread, oatmeal, etc. Eat generous portions of these. I understand there are different kinds of vegetarians. If you are not aversive to dairy products, include generous portions of milk, cheese, and eggs in your diet. They will provide high-quality proteins that are essential for health. Soy protein and wheat gluten are plant-based high-quality proteins. Good sources include soy milk, tofu, and veggie burgers. I recommend daily multivitamin pills to supplement what may be lacking in a typical veggie diet. If you have problems absorbing vitamin B12, you may have to take B12 shots on a regular basis. Don't forget to use a moderate amount of oil in your cooking or in salads. Your body needs essential fatty acids in order to function properly. My favorite oil is canola oil which is lowest in saturated fat among all the cooking oils.

thanks for the answer, and I know that is could be nutrition related as I am a border-line vegan/vegetarian. As said though I have had blood tests and everything seems within normal range ie: iron, b12 etc. Does anyone think that it could be celiac disease, like my father? Or could it be something more serious. I was walking home in the cold the other day (a 5 minute walk) and I found my self out of breath and very weak. I very nearly collapsed a block from my home. Any further ideas? Should I continue going back to the doctors to ensure I find out what's wrong?

Yes, continue to see your doctors until you get to the root causes of your condition.

Hi I hope you come back to read this as I have a similar story. I'll try to keep it as short as possible. Basically I had been feelign unwell for several years progressivly getting worse and getting less and less able to eat/digest certain foods. Wheat and Rye were the main problem later on any sugar (bananas were bad) considering all these things were a bulk part of my diet I just ended up sicker and sicker every time I woke up. My family also have a bad history with ulcers so I was put on some antibiotics to kill the bacteria that causes ulcers. I felt slightly little better while on those drugs and my stomach bloating seemed a little less. But I was still almost falling asleep driving the car sometimes when I was tired and also not breathing as well as I shoudl be. In the end I just continued to get worse. My B12 levels at my last test a couple of years ago were low but acceptable. Anyway I was really starting to struggle and pretty much just told my doctor to stick me with b12 because I didn't feel like I was going to last much longer and if there was a chance that was going to fix me well may as well do it. TEN HOURS later I knew that's what had been wrong with me and the next day I felt better than I had in perhaps 10 years. I was vegan for most of that time and for the last few years have been veganish much like you I suspect. I could go on and on about the symptoms I had and what the difference is post b12 but bassically just get the shot, you need it. Chances are you will wake up cured like I did. I'm going to keep having the shots untill my b12 is at a fairly high level

I forgot to mention the stomach bloating was the worst symptom of b12 deficiency for me, it got so bad I could no longer function normally during the day or sleep at night

And one more thing, I don't know if you have this, but I was getting like tingling down my sides. And over the years off and on had twitching eyelids (usually fixed with magnesium but I suspect b12 is a major cause) and also had been knows to wake up in a cold sweat with a strange really strange spasm in the chest muscles, it used to make me think I had a heart attack, I have no idea what that was but it doesn't happen anymore either. All this made me wonder just how much of these general health problems are b12 related? I know since I'm vegetarian I'm more likely to be b12 deficient but even though I had a low but acceptable amount clearly that wasn't enough B12 for ME :-)

I have most of these symptom and I've been trying so long to find out what wrong with me. Inability to gain weight only in 90-95 lb. heart rate and pain in chest, twittching eyelid, sick after eating especially certain food, bloating and major abdominal pain, Dizzy spells, difficulty breathing. I have beta thallasemia minor and iron level check come back fine. had bloodwork done and blood sugar and electrolytes usually low but tell me i have no problems. Been trying to find out for year and half whats wrong but do not know. Early twenty yr old. maybe vitamin B12?

Based on what I have read, I have been doing research since I am also unable to gain weight, but seeing that you have a family history of Celiac disease and ulcers, you may also have celiac disease or maybe it's ulcerative colitis. Also, someone mentioned how they couldn't eat wheat or sugar and such without having bloating etc. It sounds like you are unable to handle gluten in your diet, which could be because of celiac disease as well. It is hard to diagnose and apparently goes unnoticed by doctors. You may also want to check into your thyroid. Hyperthyroidism particularly. The best advice is to see an endocrinologist.