Im worried about my girlfriend. She's of the attitude of "screw the doctor." She's suffering from bloating, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, she's (too) easily full after eating, and her back aches sometimes.

She got food poisoning about 3 weeks back, and I've wondered if she has some sort of bacterial or viral infection. I dont know, Im fairly ignorant of anatomy and medical conditions.

She says that technology also makes her sick, including the tv, computer, phone, et cetera. We have thought that perhaps she could be pregnant, but as we have a long distance relationship at the moment, we havent had sex in two months, and she's gone through two normal periods in that time. Possible, but highly doubtful.

Should I be concerned? Should I push for her to go to the doctor, despite her protestations? Any help or information would be highly appreciated. Ive been sifting through the web with symptoms and one thing could be as likely as another on the coldness of the web. So Im asking real people now, hehe. Thanks! Sorry for the long post.

Daniel

It would be interesting to know the responses to this. I have been having similar symptoms. It almost feels as though I am pregnant as I have had symptoms such as the nausea, abdominal cramping, dizziness, fatigue, bloating during pregnancy, but I have done a pregnancy test and I have had my period so I am sure I am not pregnant. But my symptoms suggested I am. Go figure!

I have just started on the progesterone only pill, but have changed yesterday to the combined. I have been cramping for 2 weeks and all the signs I thought I must be pregnant, but I have got my period since so musn't. I have just had a baby 4 months ago, and my whole system has been a bit out of whack since. It hurts when I eat or go to the toilet but feels as though it's my upper stomach, which is where it also feels bloated.

Hmmm, can anyone help?

Hi, your girl's symptoms are virtually an identical match to my husbands (including a possible food poisoning event). He has since been found to be vitamin B deficient and is having injections, but the symptoms have recurred. He has been tested for some bugs and viruses but nothing has turned up yet, even though i suspect it is a gastro bug. Considering that he might have a weekened immune system and could be intolerant or allergic to some foods. He has had this for at least a month and I'm pretty keen for it not to go on any longer, looking for any advice from anyone else out there. I strongly advise your girlfriend to see a doctor and/or a naturopath. Good luck.

This thread is most interesting. I've had similar symptoms (gas pain, bloating, exhaustion, inability to eat or drink) for over 2 weeks. Am menopausal, so pregnancy is not the issue.

After 9 days, and a trip to the doc's office for an IV because of dehydration, I was getting better and able to eat cheese, wheat, soy, etc. in small quantities without pain. (Doc speculated that it was gastroenteritis of some viral origin, but of unusually long duration)

3 days later I ate cheese and crackers and had a great deal of uncomfortable gas, but not terrible pain. 4 days after that (i.e., last night), I noticed that I was feeling unusually tired and out of breath. By the time that I reached home in the evening, I was experiencing severe gastro pain, bloating, exhaustion and lightheadedness. As of this morning, stomach still gassy and rumbling like a construction site.

I know one other person who has had similar symptoms for over 2 weeks. She said that the rest of her family experienced them for only a day or two. She thought that she brought it back to NY from a vacation to Utah, where there seemed to be many people down with a stomach bug.

This does appear to be some sort of strange gastroenteritis. It would be helpful to hear from others who are experiencing the same.

My daughter has also been suffering from intestinal swelling and vomiting with fatigue. She has been this way for a year now. Everything she eats stays down usually until it gets into the intestinal area, than the swelling starts, until it swells so much and all comes back up. All types of tests have been done, but they cannot find a cause. Has anyone had more symptoms like this?

I recently had a food poisoning experience 2 weeks ago and have had the same symptoms of Daniels girlfriend. Any advise or updates?

I just wanted to let you all know what I have found out from my doctor. I've had constant nausea and bloating for almost an entire month now. It is worse when I eat, especially when I eat anything with a lot of fat in it. Pregnancy has been ruled out. My first doctor said that it was "probably anxiety" - it's definitely not. I finally went to a gastroenterologist and they have done an endoscopy and are doing a gastric emptying study. They ruled out an ulcer and think that I have a condition called "gastroparesis," which is where the stomach stops emptying for some reason. It is on the rise in young women, even though it is normally only seen in older patients that have diabetes (I am 23 and do not have diabetes - my doctor says that she has personally seen this in other women my age recently).

So go see a specialist if this persists. Good luck!

My 16 yr old daughter has had these SAME symptoms for > 6 months, after always (since a baby) some symptoms. She was finally dx'd with dietary fructose intolerance, but after adherence to a strict diet for > 6 weeks is still symptomatic. They now did gastric emptying, lab work and biopsy of esophagus, stomach and duodenum, we'll get results next week. Her doc believes it's IBS, but we'll wait to rule out other things like bacteria, etc. I hope this helps! Food allergies and intolerances can develop at any age. A good site I found is cookingallergyfree.com. Best wishes.

Are there any updates on this string? I posted yesterday and haven't got any replies. For over a year I've experienced vomiting, nauseau, loss of appetite and fatigue. So far my doctor can't find a thing wrong with me. There seems to be no pattern to the vomiting. I go along fine for a while and then out of nowhere I can't keep anything - even water - on my stomach. After a few days it passes. It feels to me like it's connected to my digestive tract and bowels. Anyone have any news about this issue? I'd be most appreciative because waiting for these doctors to figure it out is .... I won't say anymore, but you get the gist. Thanks.

It's strange to find so many people with all these symptoms I have. That answer of "likely gastroenteritis" that the doctors give is very unsatisfying, especially now that it's accompanied by all these other symptoms. Something like gastroparesis doesn't seem to fit either.
To me, these symptoms indicate a possible problem with my ovaries, like ovarian cysts, which is scary because I have a lot of family history of ovarian cancer. I am only 21 though. Did anyone hear something like this from the doc? I am going for a preliminary check-up tomorrow and will write again when I find out something....

My name is Megan and a year ago in May 2007, I had suffered a fast acting flu type virus that hit me in only a couple short hours after a wedding. It was so bad and painful I ended up in the emergency room were I recieved 3 IV bags, morphine and nausia medication to help me. After that I knew I'd be sensitive. But months later my boyfriend and I move in an apartment together, I knowticed I was tired alot. I thought nothing of it. Then in November 2007 when it started getting cold I woke up early in the morning out of a dead sleep very sick to my stomach that I barely made it to the bathroom.. It hurt alot and my stomach was bloated for the rest of the day, afterwards I knowticed I was fatigued, I am nausiated just by smelling food, or even just being hungry. My stomach is sensitive and pains me to the touch. We both thought I was pregnant.. But I couldnt have been I was on birth control for several weeks. But I took the tests anyways and found myself to be negative.. every month since then I take the test and have gotten off of the birth control.. but it wasnt enough... every other week I'd be vomiting but spend the rest of my time nausious, both after I eat whether it was a light meal or not.

I no longer have any health insurance due to moving out of my parents place and cannot see a doctor. And from since then I can no longer sleep on my stomach.. my nausia brings me to tears... I've taken so much nausia medication it scares me. And the clinics here only want money that I do not have.

I dont know if it is viral, if it is due to mold, or if it is an infection. Im really scared and I dont want this to affect my ability to having children since my period have been regular but very heavy and we have an active sex life! If anyone knows a doctor I can call please reply to me. I dont care about the payments now.

I am really scared.

I have had similar symptoms for the past two weeks and we've figured out the problem for me. I felt sick and tired every morning and would usually feel better by early-mid afternoon. I threw up two different nights after playing softball.

After some thought, we realized that two weeks ago we bought a bunch of those 'sugar-free' individual serving drink flavorings, which we've been drinking a good bit of. And at softball games, our coach began bringing Gatorade G2 (sugar-free) to games for everyone about that time.

Apparently some people have trouble with the artificial sweeteners and they cause symptoms similar to gastroenteritis. After the first day of not drinking these artificially sweetened drinks I felt better, and after 3 days I felt 100% again.

This might not be the same for all of you, but hopefully this helps some! Good luck.

well i have the same problem....i have constnant nausea, im always tired, i cant eat anything w/out feeling worse...lets just say i have almost every single symptom of pregnancy...heres the thing i was diagnosed w/ pcos less than a yr ago & think that has 2 do w/ it but i have no insurance or $$$ 2 go bak 2 the docs to see wat is really wrong...so if people have these symptoms//just google pcos & then talk to your doc about it ..it just takes a blood test 2 c if u have it

Has anyone had a steady diagnosis besides Gastroparesis? I had a stomach bug a few weeks ago where I threw up everything I ate and since then I feel nauseous often and my stomach has been incredibly bloated to the point where is is painful to move. If it isn't, I'm embarrassingly gassy and my stomach lower abdomen is especially loud and cramped. Constipation is also happening, but with small bouts of diarrhea. I'm discouraged by many of the diagnosis people are given because many involve pain in upper abdomen or heartburn but I have had neither.. if there is any pain it is in the belly button area or lower. Also, I've had a slight pain in my lower back.

I cannot believe what I am reading. I am having every symptom as you guys. Is anyone else having weird bowl movements where they almost pass out and the bowl movements look like mashed potatoes? I know this sounds gross, but I cannot live with this nausea anymore. I just walked in from the emergency room and they told me gastroparesis. I am getting really scared by reading all these notes that we could be being posioned by a food or drink from another country or something...Please someone reply with something that has helped them.