As the topic suggets, I have a bloated stomach and excess gas 20-30 minutes after having a meal. But this seems to be felt the most after having a nice big steak. Does meat do this? Is there any way to reduce this problem while keeping the diet constant?

I'm sure this is also related, but I was diagnosed with ulcer 2 years ago (the bacteria test came out negative though... h-pilori or whatever it's called). I took some pills everyday for 3 months and then some milder pills for another 3 months and that was it, and now the doctors refuse to do another test to see if I have ulcer. My family doctor instead has made me pay $150 by purchasing some Florastor bacterial pills (Saccharomyces boulardii lyo) to "maintain balance of intestinal flora", and some not-so-taste-bud-friendly enzyme in the form of powder that i have to mix with water, FROM HIS MEDICiNAL SHELF IN HIS OFFICE. And he's given me a vigirous diet that excludes everything I like, from beer to meat, chicken, bread, rice, certain vegtebales and fruits, almost all dairy products, all acidy fruits and veggies, coffee, etc. It's just an impossible task.

Personally i reckon that the culprit should be found but probably not by eliminating all the foods that could be causing your troubles.

It could be that you are oversensitive, allergic (or whatever) to some foods or maybe you even suffer from IBS and I suppose this should be investigated. IBS is considered to occur due to overgrowth of bacteria in the intestines but before IBS is diagnosed, tests need to be done.

Why not seek another opinion if you feel this doc is just selling you his stuff???

This Dr. sounds very similar to mine. I have seen several GI specialists and after 2 endoscopes, colonoscopy, ultrasound, etc... they discovered ulcers as well as celiac disease. I too tested negative for H. Pylori bacteria and also for the bacterial overgrowth breath test. I continue to have upper abdominal pain as well as bloating, gas, constipation and acid reflux. I sought help from a couple of accupuncturists. 1 said no chicken, shellfish, eggplant, sprouts; rice during the day but, not at night. The other said no meat (including chicken), dairy, wheat, sugar, root vegetables, mushrooms but, fish (including shellfish), eggplant, and rice is ok for all 3 meals. He also said no sprouts... This has been a very long year for me. Any help since '06?