I have recently experienced a dramatic bloating in my abdomen, accompanied by pain (kind of feels like muscle pain) and I literally woke up three days ago and couldnt fit into my normal pants. My abdomen is somewhat hard and very bloated. I have not had any unprotected sex and although I am due for my period in 5+ days, these symptoms are not PMS. I am starting to get concerned and wondering if I need to see a doc. Has anyone ever experienced this?? Could it be severe fluid retention? HELP!!

I had a similar problem, went to the doc and got xrays. It showed I have a huge gas bubble in my large intestine with no blockage though. I am regular and the problem happened overnight. The docs had no explination for what the cause was. I got prescribed Reglan and it has slowly (over 4 days) began helping. Hope this is helpful.

I"m not quite sure but a while ago I had the same thing you do. I"m not sure if this will be useful or correct advice but from what I"m hearing it could be caused by your ovaries. A while ago I had pain on my lower left side and had to be rushed to the hospital. It was a pain unlike any i've ever experienced. It was worse than period cramping. From what the doctors figured it was an ovarian cyst that had erupted. I've recently searched on the internet for information pertaining to this and found that weight gain can be evident when you have an ovarian cyst..... Not sure if this will help you but, just thought I"d offer some of my experience and knowledge. In my opinion I would go and talk to your doctor. If it is an ovarian cyst, then I don't think you can do much about it, it is going to erupt eventually... But if it' not, it could be a tumour in your ovaries. Either way, check with your doctor.

I have endometriosis and will gain 7+ pounds in a week. However I will lose it all in 3 days. What you describe is exactly what happens to me. It sucks. You should see a doctor, or alt least start taking midol-pms. it will relieve the bloating, acting as a diahretic, and slightly ease the pain of cramping. good luck

I actually have experienced what you are are talking about.. both from mild to severe, and though it does not happen all the time it tends to happen about a week before my period which makes me think, even though it is not what normally happens to you, it may in fact be related. I have been able to manage it and I will tell you how.

I started having horrible periods with extreme cramping during PMS and found that the pain was sometimes so intense, it felt like something sharp jabbing into my intestines: I would feel like I was convulsing, have extreme pain, break out in a sweat and become extremely nauseous. I thought I was dying.. It would culminate with usually me either throwing up (mostly bile and air) or else having a painful and long bowel movement usually with diarrhea. Then the pain would subside. I don't know why that happens at that particular time, but it does especially during the time before my period - though not always and seemed to correlate to how heavy or intense the initial flow of my period was. (Times when I got gas pains my periods usually started very intense and heavy). The culrprit is actually trapped gas bubbles and it's the body's attempt to get rid of it quickly.

What I do now is take charcoal caplets (I have for years when this happens to great results). They are homeopathic and work very well and quickly and there is nothing like them. (they treat discomfort, pressure and bloating and help to quickly get rid of gas or trapped air- and work much better than any other product I have ever used including Gas-ex etc.) No side effects either. Usually if I take that at the onset of any pain, or even any bloating before pain, along with a pain reliever, I dont have any pain at all. I still have to go to the bathroom but it wont hurt, or if it does hurt, it lessens the time it lasts. I have actually also given charcoal tablets to girlfriends of mine who are having pain from severe cramps, and in most cases they have felt better almost immediately without any pain reliever which makes me believe that alot of cramping pain is caused in part by trapped gas (bloating) and heavy throbbing that happens when the uterus sheds (which is somewhat similar to the way the musclesin the intestinal wall move the material in your instestines). Everyone thinks it is odd at first (and I don't bother with the details) but are suprised by the results.

It also works well if you have intestinal pain along along with diarrhea. It doesn't always happen (the pain coupled with the bloating) but when it does, this helps.

A product called "CharcoCaps" is the best, its over the counter, and you can usually find it at any drugstore or CVS and costs about $6.00 for 36 capsules that you take 2 at a time.

It can be really frightening and painful to feel that way.. but it is easy to solve. If you have any questions I suggest you talk to your dr to see if they know why it happens, and if they prescribe you an anti-gas product at least the capsules. They are easy on the body, won't hurt you and the best thing i have found on the market.

Plus they work.

Hope that helps. :-)

This also happens to me. It is alwayse the week before my period. My stomache bloats up so much that the pressure is inbearable. I look like i'm pregnant. All of the pain is below the belly button. I know it is gas because if i do pass any, it relieves the pain momentarily. It is sometimes accompained by mucusy stools, but not alwayse. It is soooo painfull, and eating anything can make it much worse. I do not think it is anything particular that i eat, just food in general. My pants don't fit, and if i push on my lower abdomin at all, the pain becomes worse. I have found that laying on my stomach can releive the pain, but it is not alwayse possible to lie down where ever you are when the pain becomes too intense. This has gotten much worse since the birth of my children.

I have been experiencing the same symptoms for at least 2 years. At first the doctor thought it was my ovaries and put me on the contraception pill, at first it helped but it then got much worse. I get sharp pains and feel like I am being stabbed in my stomach. It turns out that your bowels can also cause this. I have had various tests including blood tests, ultra sounds, a test where i drank white liquid and it was followed through my bowels and also a cameras put into my stomach. On the ovaries side, they found that a have cysts but they are not large enough to cause this pain and my pill was just changed, which has made the pain somewhat worse as my body has to adjust to it. I will find out in a couple of weeks what the bowel test results are, so hopefully they find something there!

From what I have gathered, although many people get pains like this, it is extremely difficult for doctors to determine where the pain is coming from.

I would note however that many doctors have told me that it is easy to mistake Irritable Bowel Symdrom for an ovary problem so hopefully this will help you all!

I've been experimenting similar symptons. I recently finished my period, but before My period I had "Horrifying Stomache Pains" below my belly button, and shortly after my period same symptons. At first I thought I ate something bad and had to pass gas (when I did it felt better) but my stomache has been hard/swollen(pregnant like), I've gained about 6 lbs over the last week, been having to go #2 in the bathroom about 3+ times a day and having pains so sharpe I have to sit down. Today my pains finally stopped, however stomache area still a little swollen and sensitve. .

How do I over come this? Sounds like I had an Ovarian cyst erupt. . .

I just got online to try and figure out what is going on with me. I googled
and found this site. I am experiencing the same thing that has been described. I have recently had a pelvic ultra sound because last period, a week before and through, I hurt so bad I thought something really serious
was happening. I had to call off work one day because the pains where so sharp on my left bottom side. No one seems to be able to tell me whats going on. So far nothing but a small ovarian cyst has shown on my Ultra Sound. They said that was too small to cause pain like i'm having. I feel like i'm 8 months pregnant. I cant turn from side to side.
I feel like If only I could go to the bathroom I would be able to relieve some pressure but it does very little. I have had an ablation done in the past. My doctor thinks maybe I need to do that again. Hopefully something will be figured out. Think of 7 days a week for 52 weeks. I dont want to be in pain that much out of a year.

I just googled these symptoms that I have been experiencing this last week and it led me to this forum and I have been reading all of these helpful suggestions and advice. This is the first time I have experienced this pain, it has been a week of severe gas, bloating, pressure and I'm sure I've gained weight because my stomach is huge, but I haven't weighed myself. I too started my period a few days after the initial pain began. However, I had a problem with ovarian cyst prior to having my children and this IS NOT the same thing. My pain seems to be very similar to what most of you are describing, but I know it is not the cyst again....it's just different. The best advice I think I saw on here is to try the Charcoal pills. I had heard of them before to help with other things, so I'm glad to know that they may help with this pain. I'm sending my husband to the store.....I'll let everyone know in a few days how I feel!!

Thank you so much for all of your advice. i rushed out to CVS to get the activated charcoal! I can't believe there are others out there with my exact same symptoms - and that even scheduled pelvic ultrasounds like me, that have ovarian cysts too - it is very comforting. I thought I was dying or had pancreatic cancer or something - but all of your symptoms were the same as mine. I am due to get my period in three days. I always have some sort of GI issue beforehand - crampy diarrhea, constipation, in addition to the usual PMS, but ever since the birth and weaning of my daughter (3 in June) it has been devastatingly uncomfortable and painful. This cycle has added the pressure and bloating and gas, though, under the ribcage, with indigestion, which I never have and I've always eaten rich food with no problem. I am 39. i have a sono scheduled for Thurs to deal with my cyst issues - she is going to put me on the pill that eliminates the period altogether. I hope this will help me - as I had to go to a bridal shower today and NONE of my clothes fit as I looked six months pregnant. My problem is that when I ovulate, I also get horrible lower pelvic pain and I can actually feel the giant fluid-filled cyst on the ovary. But the prementstrual GI issues are just driving me crazy! I will continue to come to this post for help. THanks SO MUCH.

Hi I have had the same problem also, to the point that I would have to stop in my tracks till the pain would subside. I was just wondering what section in CVS would I find the Charcoal pills? Thanks for your Help!!

Did you ever find out what was wrong? I have had all the same issues and am going crazy. A stool test did find an imbalance in bacteria so i got some herbal supplements that helped with constipation, I did a week and a half diet of gluten free, sugar free, dairy free and egg free and teh cramping stayed and even seemed more constant. Not a food allergy. I made a doctor do a test for celiac - negative. I'm waiting to get results back from a pelvic ultra sound and I see a GI in two weeks. Nothing is moving fast enough for me. I can't fit into pants - I'm a runner and gaining weight no matter what my diet consists of. I've put on about 15 lbs in 2 months for no apparent reason. My shoes are even too tight. Has anyone got results? How can so many women suffer with similar issues and no one knows?

Thanks for your post so I know I'm not alone and I'm not imagining things.

I too have had this same problem. Mine is caused by PCS (pelvic congestion syndrome). PCS is often undiagnosed b/c the only real way to diagnose it is to have a laparoscopy (at least 5 years ago it was). Now they can do a venogram and an ovarian vein embolization to treat this. I am having the embolization done next Wed (JUne 25). Doctors don't yet know a whole lot about this condition, but they feel that there are alot more women suffering from it than they ever thought.
What it is, is the veins in the pelvis do not drain properly. they get congested and it is very painful. The understanding 5 years ago was that if they removed the uterus the pain would go away, now they know that is not true. Since the problem is not the uterus but rather the ovarian veins. The symptoms get worse with each pregnancy. The pain also gets worse when you are ovulating, later in the day, when you stand, and after intercourse.
I hope this info can help someone. I wish a message board like this had existed 5 years ago when my symptoms began!!

Debbie

I do not have so much pain as many here have talked about but that may be because I have been enduring it for over a year now and I am learning to ignore it. My doctors are telling me that it is just middle age weight gain, nothing shows on the uterine ultrasound and since I have had an ablation about 5 years ago, the doctors are chalking it up to scarring in the uterus. I can't justify 30 pounds of scarring. I gained the weight in about 8 weeks and I too look like I am 6 or 7 months pregnant. Worst part is that I haven't gained in other parts of my body and I am beginning to think I should start shopping in maternity dept. just for the comfort. Getting ready to move to another state so hoping that new doctors will offer new perspectives; I am getting tired of them telling me nothing is wrong;I am just getting older.