hi

I have been suffering from abnormal stomach bloating at night for many many years recently i have done alot of ayverdic work on my liver to help the problem it has reduced the position of the bloating, now i bloat in my lower stomach rather from the ribs downwards . I am feeling rather fed up with this as i cant seem to get to the bottom of it. My diet is good i eat no dairy foods very little meat and then only chicken and wheat maybe once a week. Do you have any suggestions

Thanks
jeannieb

Wow - I have exactly the same thing, and a quick Google search confirms that we are not the only ones, by a long shot. Have you had any luck finding the cause of your symptoms? I have been assuming that this is probably related to IBS and/or hiatal hernia. The doctors don't seem to have a clue and I am not eager to start in with the x-rays and CT scans . . .

Just replying again to make sure I am notified if further replies are posted. Thanks.

Hi guys, I'm Manny. I think that distended stomach can be caused by a lot of things. I think that the best thing for you to do is to go and see a specialist about your problem, because it doesn't seem to be naive at all. You should do a full body scan, run your blood tests, also give your stool sample for examination in search of bacteria. Do an endoscopy if needed because it could be urgent. It's possible that it's just hernia, but you will need to surgically remove it, which is a relatively routine procedure. Let us know what you did. 

Hypercalcemia can cause stomach bloat. This can be caused by higher than normal doses or Vitamin A and/or Vitamin D and/or some thiazide medications. Foods high in Vitamin A or D may also contribute. I'm also experiencing mild neuropathy. I was deficient in Vitamin D and was taking 6000 IUs a day, but now my levels may have have exceeded high normal. In addition, I take hyprochlorothiazide to control high blood pressure. I'm going to discontinue my Vitamin D intake today and see if it makes a difference to my nighttime bloating. Check out the site below:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/hypercalcemia/Patient/page6/print

I have the same issue......

After going to DR and having a colonoscopy...I was diagnosed as having IBS….IBS is a umbrella of issues claimed by a title of IBS….which means they don’t have a clue what is causing your gut to expand in the evenings.

So, I have discovered, the more beef I eat in the later part of the day the more bloated I am at night…also, I have to eat five smaller meals during the day with the last meal being the smallest. This seems to help me

I can have a hamburger for lunch but not steak for dinner, if so I have to limit the amount. What may be happening is you have a food intolerance (not allergy) that causes a bloated stomach at night….

Try eating smaller meals through out the day….about five, lots of water and chew your food more before swallowing….this will help with the fermenting process thus cause less gases.

Also, caffeine is a stimulate and can cause gas in the gut (large intestine) .I really miss my evening cup of coffee, but would much rather not be uncomfortable.

I suffer with this too, and was also diagnosed with IBS. I have phases where I have this problem for a week or two, then maybe get a few days without it and so on. I've had this problem for about 15 years and I'm sure the disruption to my sleep over the long term has been the reason why my mental health is deteriorating (depression/anxiety/irritability). I'd say my bloating is 80% at night and 20% during the day, the biggest problem being when I wake up with a dull ache most mornings.

I too have found that eating smaller more frequent meals tends to help, as well as not eating late. Some years ago I went on a strict macro-vegan diet, also ensuring that the only thing I ate first thing every morning was a good portion of green vegetables. I wouldn't eat anything else for at least a couple of hours. I also changed my lifestyle to reduce stress considerably. Together this seemed to cure me completely of my problem but I found it a tough diet to maintain.

A specialist told me it was likely being caused by adhesions related to my appendisectomy, but that was just an educated guess by him. Doctors are generally reluctant to operate on adhesions for fear of making them worse, but it is something I've been considering. A couple of doctors I've seen have both wondered "why mostly at night", which is a question I wonder about too.

I have the same bloating at night and even some during the day. I have been taking anti acids and prilosec that seems to help a bit but does not cure it. I am going in for an endoscopy and colonoscopy next week to see if they can tell me the problem.

I can't help but see the similarities in that doctors can't help. Once again, the health industry is unable to help with my needs. I see no reason to have insurance when everytime I go to the doctor they claim "art not science" and can't help. Sure, we have great catasptrophic care in this nation, but the maintenance care is horrible. So, we are left to diagnose and cure ourselves all while paying insurance companies billions of dollars.

I had these same problems as all of you and the doctors weren't helping I found out I was gluten intolerant. I noticed rather quickly that my stomach stopped bloating and I felt much better after stopping the gluten. It's hidden in almost everything. It will take quite a bit of research but try going gluten free and see if that helps or get tested for the celiac disease. I am now 10 months gluten free (and dairy free because I already knew I was lactose intolerant) and I feel great. I also found that I was depressed often, sluggish feeling, and just didn't feel good most of the time. Gluten free cured all of that. Gluten can last in the body up to 4 days after ingestion and if it's damaged your colon, can take about 6 months for the body to fully repair itself.

This guy has the exact symptoms I have... so far... after colonoscopy, no answers.

I went on an elimination/challenge diet where I eliminated all of the following at once, and added them back one at a time: wheat, dairy, caffeine, soy, alcohol, corn, sugar, citrus, nightshades, etc. No result - no particular food group seemed to set off my symptoms.

I had a colonoscopy, which was declared normal.

I used to be a raw food vegan, but now eat anything. Nothing seems to help. 'Food hangovers' and pain plague me constantly. I sought the colonoscopy due to more frequent bouts of intense (severe enough to consider going to the emergency room) pain.

Still no answers other than 'IBS'. I was prescribed an anti-spasmodic, which I've taken only once (and seems to be based on belladonna). I suppose I should try it a few more times, and if it does work, try re-creating it in herbal form.

I have had the same problems since I was 15 I am now 31 I have had test after test the doctors keep telling me I have ibs.. When I was first diagnosed with this it was never heard of now everyone is being diagnosed with it. I'm sure the doctors haven't got a clue. It very embarrassing as sometimes k look about 3month pregnant I have tried everything It really gets me down .

I have had the same problems since I was 15 I am now 31 I have had test after test the doctors keep telling me I have ibs.. When I was first diagnosed with this it was never heard of now everyone is being diagnosed with it. I'm sure the doctors haven't got a clue. It very embarrassing as sometimes k look about 3month pregnant I have tried everything It really gets me down . :-(

Have you tried a probiotic? I had the bloating and pain in my chest and ribcage area and looked 9 months pregnant. My naturopath put me on a Young Living probiotic (Life 5) and polyzyme to help with digestion and it seemed to help. I also was told to eat vegan. No meat, dairy, whilte sugar or flour. Mostly fresh fruits /veggies. So far so good. I do have a very low vitamin D which I have to take 50,000 units a week for 8 weeks to get me where I need to be.