Well, my doctor told me he thought I might have IBS I'm just wondering what test there were out there to find for sure; he didn't seem too concerned about it. I have had several months of abdominal cramping, swelling of abdomen, diarrhea or constipation and lower back pain. I get sick after meals and then have a lot of bowel movements or feeling like I need to have one.

I was hoping to get some feedback on what other people do to relieve their symptoms. My life has changed; I don't do a lot with my school-aged children because I feel bad all the time and my swelling is so bad, and sudden cramping and gas pains, that it is embarrassing, and I have sudden urges to have a bowel movement. I just want my life back; I have been very depressed about this.

I have been trying to work out to attempt to lose weight but it seems that something in my stomach, will not allow me to lose the weight. I have what seems like a pouch of fat in the center of my stomach that will not go away no matter how much I work out. Please help! I am desparate to rectify this situation.

i wish you'd let me know if and when you get an answer to the above question -
sounds like my story!

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

hope you get some advice on this, my case is not unlike yours.

This sounds like me too!!! So annoyed...If any of you have found out how to feel better please let me know!!! Causing so much stress and depression in my life!!

It sounds like IBS to me. There's two types. IBS with diarrhea, and IBS with constipation. I have the second one. It's awful. Abdominal pain, constipation, gas... it hurts, big time.

I also have a problem with weight gain, and being able to lose it. Basically, I can't.

My doctor put me on Zelnorm.. and because I have such a bad case of IBS with constipation, and he also put me on Zoloft, which is a depression medication (and I have that too), because reduced Seratonin levels (which are part of depression), also "slow" everything else down too, like mood, bowels, everything. Makes your entire body "sluggish".

So seratonin also helps with constipation sometimes too, if depression is also one of your side effects.

Still, I often have probs with constipation, along with other symptoms that led me to believe I might have hypothyroidism. My doctor did blood tests though, and I don't have that. So I'm thoroughly stumped, and almost feel despair because I can't figure out what's wrong with me.

If anyone knows what else could be causing these symptoms, please let me know as well.

Thanks.

Several years ago, I had symptoms identical to yours, and I suffered for several months until I went to a gastroenterologist (GE). The GE said that these symptoms can be caused by a whole bunch of things, so we decided to start trying to rule-out obivous causes, such as parasites or other types of infection. I was put on an antibiotic for a two-week course, and the symptoms tapered off and disapperared after the first a week. The fact that antibiotics worked indicated that there was likely some type of bug causing the problems. Around two weeks after finishing the antibiotics, the symptoms returned, so we blasted the bug with a 3-week course of a stronger antibiotic (Cipro) and after about three days, the symptomes never returned.

Zoloft will cause weight gain---
I have been on Zelnorm for a couple of months and I have found that in order to really get it to work --because it will seem to plateau on you-- you need to drink LOTS of water and exercise. This gets everything "moving" in your body and it will really work good then. It has worked wonders since I have been doing it. I also eat a high fiber diet, which we really help with weight loss. I have lost 25lbs in the last 3 months since I have been on it with drinking water,exercising and diet. I hope this helps and good look.

Anyone with these symptoms should be tested for Celiacs. It is the most under-diagnosed disease in america because doctors pawn it off as IBS and prescribe acid reducers. Spend three days on a gluten free diet and see how you feel. Go to Celiac.com for more info. :-D

Dear Tamara,

I know exactly how you feel because I have the same symptoms, and have had them for about two years. It's awful, I'm afraid to leave my house most days. I've had many tests and procedures to find out the cause of all the pain-Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, and every type of scan you can think of. I was told I have an irregularly shaped large intestine and IBS. But I wasn't satisfied with their diagnosis, because my symptoms worsen when I have my period, so I called my Gynecologist and he ran a series of tests to find out that I have Endometriosis. I had surgery in November of 2006 to remove the endometriosis which bothered my left side, but now I am having sharp burning and stabbing pains on my right side. I'm not sure what that is about, and am going to have it checked soon. My point is, after all that I have had done I'm still suffering from the pain, and my stomach is still bloated. I'm not sure if there is a cure for what we both suffer from, but hang in there, because you're not alone, and your not going crazy. I wish you good health!

msaz

I have had IBS-Constipation for as long as I can remember. The ONLY thing that has ever worked for me is Zelnorm. I've taken Zelnorm for almost a year now and have lost close to 20lbs. Symptoms will return if you stop taking it and it's a pretty tricky medicine, you can't miss a dose or it'll stop working. Also I have to take my Zelnorm exactly 20-30 minutes before a meal and my stomach has to be completely empty when I take it for it work.

I am currently 8 weeks pregnant and stopped taking Zelnorm at 5 weeks as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I am miserably constipated and I'm looking forward to going back on Zelnorm once the baby is delivered. I know you're not supposed to take Zelnorm long term, but personally I think the benefits outweigh the risks!

[I have the same problem as you. im sick of it. and i cant find anything wrong medically. its been 9 months that I've had serious constipation with a lot of abdominal pain. ive tried everything. now im on Zoloft, just a few days now... how is it helping for you?

quote="Guest"]It sounds like IBS to me. There's two types. IBS with diarrhea, and IBS with constipation. I have the second one. It's awful. Abdominal pain, constipation, gas... it hurts, big time.

Thanks.

I have the same problem. It happend suddenly 8 months ago and I havent been able to go to the bathroom without laxatives since . I just started Zoloft 3 days ago.. how is it working for you ?

Hello i have the same problem as yours and recenty i have discovered i have parasite(giardiasis) from blood tests(antibody) not the stool .I felt better after one week of treatmet but unfortunatellu the simptoms came back so i have to do one more time the treatment.
Test for parasite!

I have been reading the posts about IBS and feel like I might have it too.

Symptoms:

~Frequent bowel movements followed by bouts of constipation
~Major bloating - to the point that my pants don't fit and I keep having to wear long jackets to hide by big belly
~Always feeling full in the abdomen but also hungry but when I eat even two bites of food I feel soooo uncomfortable
- Like I have a lump or something in my stomach permanently

Does anyone else have this???????? Is this IBS do you think? I am going to see my doctor but am just curious to know.

OMG!!!I can't believe so many others have the same symptoms I have been having. I am having trouble figuring out if I have constipation or just some problems with bowel movements. I have gained over 10 lbs. in the past year and am soooo depressed. I already take anti-depressants and none of these cause weight gain. My belly is getting bigger and bigger and I work out about 25 miles a week and maintain a 1500 cal diet trying to prevent more weight gain.
My doctor never asked me about my digestive system but rather, thinks I have to just get used to the weight gain.
Can anyone tell me a bit more about IBS constipation? I go off and on. Brief periods of normal movements and then followed by severe constipation, gas pain and narrow stools. Then, I get a bout of diarrhea. Any answers anyone?
You have given me some hope....Thanks!!
Joan