For the past week, I've had quite a bit of blood in my stool with no other symptoms whatsoever and I was wondering what could be the cause of this.

If this information helps any, I used to eat a lot of junk food (ice cream, cookies, candies, and just stuff loaded with sugar) and I started cutting down on them the 4th of January, does that have anything to do with this sudden change in my body?

The blood was not dry, it's still bright red and drips into the bowl while passing bowel movements but it doesn't hurt at all. I have been a little tired lately, but I think that was due to the severe lack of sugar in my diet.

Hm...

Blood in stool can be a sign of so many different things. 

They usually say that it is not dangerous when bright red, but still, I would not hesitate to go seeing my doctor. Maybe it is nothing serious, but it can't be nothing. I mean, blood in the stool needs to mean something, right?

Generally, blood in the stool means there is bleeding somewhere in your digestive tract and you should definitely find the cause. Also, sometimes the amount of this blood can be so small that it can only be detected by a fecal occult test.

So, ask your doctor to do this test!

Did you ever find out what was wrong?

I have a similar problem like the first person that started the thread. Althought they didnt mention if the blood was slimy and mucus-like as well. I ve come to the conclusion that it is linked with alchohol consumption even the slightest (coffee with Baileys). I am a 4th year uni student and I had my fair share of drinking since 1st year. So in my 3rd year after a crazy easter break week of solid drinking, I returned to uni and started revising for exams. I went with my flatmate to a restaurant to eat and he got salmonela. I was only feeling sick for a couple of days but then I was ok but started having blood in my stool after drinking. My flatmate had to go to the doctor for the salmonela and do tests etc because he was getting worse. After he tested positive for salmonela I had a test as well since I had blood in my stool by that point, to see if it was salmonela but the test was negative. The doctor gave me antibiotics anyway. I dont know if my body killed the salmonela before the test or if the test was a faulse negative or even if I never had salmonela. But at the same time I started having blood in my stool. I had a colonoscopy and the result showed that I had ulcerative colitis on the last few cm of the large intestine and thats why the blood is bright red. How and why ulcerative colitis is caused is unknown to doctors and there are things you can take to ease the symptoms although there is no permanent solution. Now, several months after, and after having periods of no blood and then having blood again, I ve come to the conclusion that my bleeding is directly linked to alchohol consumption. Ulcerative colitis is a self-immune thing and in my case it could have been triggered by the salmonely infection (if it took place after all), and because of the alchohol abuse the immune system got confused and now it is triggered by alchohol or something among these lines. The biggest problem is that I seem to become increasingly sensitive to the amount of alchohol I drink. So now even with a coffee that has a bit of alchohol in it I get blood in my stool. So, in any case you must have a colonoscopy to see whats going on. Although in cases like Ulcerative Colitis it wont tell you the reason or the trigger, it will at least tell you what it is not and will provide you with valuable information. Then try to have no alchohol for lets say 3 days then drink to see if you will get blood. Then wait a week and drink again. To make sure it doesnt occure every 3 days etc. and see if it is really linked to alchohol or something else in your diet or environment. I also used to think it was correlated with the temperature, since I was travelling to different countries. In the warmer country I had way less blood. To the coldest the most. But I realised that my alchohol consumption followed the same pattern although for social reasons not cold! So I ve concluded that it is just the alchohol.

i have the same problem and it is alcohol related and not drinking enough water is also a factor. i found that if i dont drink at all or have any kind of caffeine i feel ok and i stopped eating spicy food.

Did you have any other symptoms?? Any pain or cramps? I have just mucous/blood but absolutely no other symptoms. Except sometimes constipation