I'm a 53 year old male. Starting about a year ago intermittantly (a week or so at a time) I've noticed blood on my stool (not in it). It's usually bright red but sometimes its a maroon colored strip along the length of the stool (again, on it, not in it). Other than that, the shape, size, and color of the stool is normal. There is no change in the frequency of bowel movements, no constipation, gas, ect. I've stopped drinking and it now occurs less frequently. My blood pressure is above normal. I going to see a doctor as soon as I obtain insurance (soon) but for now could this be a hemorrhoid or tear or is this something more serious?

I'm a 19 year old guy, and i have had this same exact symptom like you....A reddish, maroonlike streak along the stool...it's weird...i got scareed i read about colon cancer....but hten again i think im too young for it but then again there's always an exemption to any rule, and someone is sure to beat the odds......this is pretty much my only symptom.....other than that i also get LOTS of gas.....My diet is high in vegetables and fruits, and i refuse to eat red meat.....Supposedly that is the ideal diet to prevent problems like this....but i don't believe in it anymore.....I hope we are okay...I went to the doctor and didnt bother to worry because he said at my age people dont get colon cancer, and if the blood is red, and in streaks its just anal irritation/fissure or hemmorhoids.....and if its cancer the blood is actually mixed within the stool, sometimes visible, and other times invisible....Anyways good luck to you and I hope your okay...