Hi, my ten months old baby gets blue lips when she cries. She was fine until two days ago when her lips started to turn blue. I don't know why this is happening. I worry that this is a symptom of serious illness. Can you tell me what could be causing my daughters lips to turn blue?

Hi, when a part of the baby's body turns blue it usually means that it is not getting enough oxygen. When infants are in question it is normal for their feet and hands to sometimes turn blue until their circulatory system fully develops. But when face turns blue it can be a sign of a serious illness. The next time she cries look closely to see if her tongue turns blue as well. If it stays pink chances are that there is nothing wrong with your baby. But because discoloration of the lips can be a symptom of congenital heart defect, pneumonia and a number of other serious conditions you should take her to the doctor as soon as possible.