Hello! My baby was born premature and she had low birth weight. She was blue and had seizures. Her blood results showed low sugar levels and my doctor said she had hypoglycemia. They gave her glucose and water mixture. We were released from the hospital few days ago but I am afraid this can happen again. Do newborn often have hypoglycemia?

Hello! If a mother is a diabetic her baby may develop hypoglycemia after delivery when the source of glucose is gone and the baby's insulin production uses up the existing glucose. Premature babies, especially those with low birth weights, often have limited glycogen stores or immature function of the liver. If you notice jitteriness, blue coloring, stopping breathing, low body temperature, lethargy or seizures you should take the baby to the hospital as soon as possible. Her blood glucose levels should be closely monitored.