Recently, I came across this condition called Asymmetric crying facies which basically means that an infant's face is asymmetrical, as seen when it is smiling or crying. What I was hoping to get some more info about is whether a baby born with Asymmetric crying facies will stay like that for the rest of its life, or is Asymmetric crying facies treatable? Or perhaps it goes away on its own?

nicky1026 wrote:

Hi Nicky,

Whilst it hasn't been confirmed, I am 99.9% certain my 9 week old daughter has it and have today been doing a lot of research on the subject since the consultant (that we saw on Monday) originally diagnosed facial palsy which would have cleared up by now.

From doing the research it seems that the individual will stay like it as it is caused by an under-developed (or absent) anguli oris muscle. The actual condition is referred to as: is ‘Congenital hypoplasia of the depressor anguli oris muscle (DAOM)’.

In most cases it seems that it is mainly noticeable when the person cries or grimaces. It can be seen on some individuals when they smile. Speech seems to be unafacted also.

In many cases it can be a sign that the individual may have ‘Cayler Syndrome’ (we have to check this out) which is more serious as it usually comes with other defects such as heart problems.

I have some good web links if you require them. I hope this helps.

Pete

Sylvester Stallone is one example of this facial condition. Unless your daughter has been diagnosed With a facial "palsy" this will be with her always! I was born in the 60's and had never been given an answer to why my lower lip "drooped" when I smiled, laughed, or cried until about 8 years ago. However it seems that there is more information out there now about this condition perhaps they will have a treatment available as more becomes known.