Hello! I am very sad these days instead of being very happy. Namely, my best friend just had a baby a month or so ago, but due to some complication during the delivery the baby was diagnosed with congenital muscular torticollis. The doctor said it too early to give some further prognosis but I want to find out how serious is torticollis in children, what are the effects and is it completely curable? What can we do to help?

Hello! I am very sad that this happened to your best friend’s baby, but the doctor is right it is too early to say anything. It is because usually babies tend to overcome this condition as they grow and it should happen in next few months. They start moving their head and neck more and the muscles get back to normal quickly. This is, in its basics, a bad case of a muscle strain. At least I understand it this way. The reason I know all this is that my brother’s baby had the same condition and he is fine now. I hope your friend’s baby will be too.

Hi! I am no doctor either but I also know a bit about this condition. Although I have never had no one close with this problem I have recently read about it in a medical magazine I am prescribed to. First of all I can comfort you by saying that for baby this condition is completely painless. The doctor will soon, if he hasn’t already, prescribe some exercises and stretching as well as some massage therapy which is supposed to resolve the problem. Congenital muscular torticollis can lead to positional plagiocephaly and facial asymmetry if the baby's head lies in the same position all the time. If it doesn’t improve by the time child turns one year some surgical treatment might be taken. I hope it won’t come to this for your friend’s baby.