My baby is undergoing cystic fibrosis testing. Of course, doctors won't say anything to me about this illness, not until they are one hundred percent sure what's going on. How serious this illness is? My wife, who's still at the hospital is also very worried, so, if possible, I would like to know something about these tests and disease.

I have a cousin, now 37 yrs old, that was born with CF. Though I don't want to sound like this is not a serious genetic defect I would like to "brighten" your spirits some and tell you about my cousin....
She has an eleven year old son, has undergone a double lung transplant, has diabetes, etc. BUT she has led life to the fullest.
She has beaten many odds. Has a positive attitude.
Just wanted to let you know CF is traumatic for the person and their family...but keep a positive attitude. Medicine has came a long way since she was diagnosed with CF and hopefully it will continue.
If your baby is diagnosed with CF there is some hope to lead somewhat of a normal life.
God Bless You and your baby.

I will be honest with you. Cystic fibrosis testing are non harmful at all, disease itself is. Very dangerous and serious, if diagnosed in you baby, will change its life and yours, permanently. But we should wait for the results. As for tests, doctors are trying to measure baby Na and Cl concentrations in sweat fluid. They will also examine baby's DNA to determine if there is some genetic mutation.