One friend of mine told me something I did not know before. From her personal experience, she told me that diaphragmatic hernia is an abnormal opening in the diaphragm. She has a baby with this problem, and diaphragmatic hernia occurred before birth. She said that allows part of the abdominal organs to migrate into the chest cavity, and case is serious and emergency. I am worried for her baby now, so I would like if you could tell me something about diaphragmatic hernia.

I think you should know first what is causing diaphragmatic hernia. The reason is improper fusion of structures during fetal development. The abdominal organs such as the stomach, small intestine, spleen, part of the liver, appear in the chest cavity. The main problem is that lung tissue on the affected side is thus not allowed to develop, as it should. Respiratory distress usually develops shortly after the baby is born, which causes collapse, and the reason is not known. A diaphragmatic hernia is a surgical emergency where abdominal organs must be replaced into the abdominal cavity, and the opening in the diaphragm repaired. If a diaphragmatic hernia is diagnosed early in gestation, until 24 to 28 weeks, fetal surgery may be considered. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia is seen in 1/2200 to 1/5000 live births with the vast majority occurring on the left side. It is true that congenital diaphragmatic hernia is a very serious disorder. Anyway, in neonatal and surgical care, survival is now greater than 80%. Unfortunately, infants who survive may have long-term complications including persistent pulmonary hypertension, recurrent lung infections, and gastrointestinal problems.