Hey there guys. So I really need to start one more topic. I was thinking to ask this question while I was posting my other topic, but I decided to start a new discussion. OK, today I was at the local bus when something bad happened - some girl started to scream and it was obvious that she was having anxiety or some other kind of panic disorder, I don't know. In the next moment, I noticed that she has blue finger nails, deep blue finger nails. I was wondering one thing - can anxiety and panic disorder cause blue finger nails?

Hey Hannah,

I think it is possible, yes, but it rarely happens. Too much stress can cause mess to your hormones, and they can conserve the blood flow to your heart. However, blue nails aren't necessarily caused by anxiety or panic attacks, that happens rarely, as I told you. The main cause of blue finger nails is a problem with your blood circulation. People with blue finger nails should go to see their doctors and do some tests in case they really have circulatory problems (which they probably do). But if the girl reacted like she did, panic is probably the cause of her blue finger nails.

Hi there.

I don't think so :/

Anxiety or panic causes fight or flight hormones and I believe that they cannot cause blue finger nails. On the other hand, blue fingernails are a very clear cut and unquestionable indicator of a circulatory problem, even if you were not aware of it. Sure that they are not and indicator at some not mental problem. In this case, you might need to consult a cardiologist, and I think that you should do this as soon as possible, otherwise you run the eventual risk of minor decay. Think about that..   

Hello there. Now, I am very confused and maybe scared a little bit as well. I noticed a few months ago blue finger nails but I believed that this is something that I should not pay attention at. But now I am scared. Of course, that happened only once and I believed that this is not important, and also now when I was writing this post, I was sure that this has something to do with anxiety. But now when I am reading your posts on my topic, I got a little bit scared. Should I check what this was about?

You should check it, Hannah, if you think that you are suffering from anxiety, you can talk to your psychologist. But only a big amount of stress can cause your finger nails to turn blue, if you weren't under a lot of stress, then you should visit your doctor instead to have some tests done in order to see if there are any problems with your circulation. I think that these are the only two possible causes of blue finger nails and these are both pretty much easy to check. Don't worry, it won't be anything serious, this is for sure.

I wouldn't worry much about it, Hannah. If you are able to stop yourself from worrying a lot, then do it, worrying doesn't do you any good. If you want to go and check if you are healthy, both mentally and physically, then go and check it. Even if there is something wrong, you still shouldn't worry about it, rather find the ways to fix that.

Check your circulation first. If all of that is okay, then talk to a psychologist. I like talking to a psychologist even though I don't have any mental problems, I would recommend that to everyone.