Can someone please help? Luckily i did not fall pregnant until i stopped taking heroin, I began on 70mls of methadone and have reduced to 30mls at 33 weeks of pregnancy. I wanted to come off methadone by the time the baby is born but may not be able to completely in the time i have left. I had planned to breastfeed as i want what is best for my baby, however the professionals involved are not keen for me to do so as it would mean coming off other meds. I am currently taking 60mgs of prozac (fluxotine) and will have to go through a period of being on no meds in order to breastfeed and the professionals are concerned my mental health will decline in the meantime while i change to a safer medication that i can breastfeed on. They also say they are un-happy to change my meds so late in the pregnancy, but that was due to factors outside my control as the professionals i needed to see for the change over have been on leave, and i  was un-able to get an appointment. I have until monday to make a decision to wether or not i should go ahead and change my meds to breastfeed, the other factor is if i decide to go ahead i will have to stop reducing my methadone dose stay stable on the 30mls, when i wanted to get on as low a dose as possible to reduce the risk of baby withdrawing. Also if i decide not to breastfeed does that mean, as the baby has received methadone via the womb all this time wont she withdraw from the methadone anyway as she wont be receiving any through my breast milk? This is really a major concern for me as my midwife or doctor can not answer my questions. Is it better that i reduce my methadone as low as i can to reduce the risk of the baby withdrawing, or will she be more likely to withdraw without the tiny amount she would receive through my breastmilk? I am so confused, I will do anything i can to try and prevent my baby suffering due to my mistakes,but do not know where to go from here?

i just had a baby i was on methadone the entire pregnancy was on 60 mg my baby is stlll in hospital on morphine weaning down will i be able to breastfeed when he gets out i am still on the methadone will it interupt my babys progress if i breastfeed im not sure how much methadone is in your breadt milk if its so little it wouldnt make a difference or is i a def no i cant breast feed no one is able to give me this answer is there anyone out there that has been through this situation

I've been through it twice, go there and demand to breastfeed your baby. The nurses are uneducated but the best thing you can do for babies born on methadone is breastfeed them i promise.