My daughter was a herion addict until she found out she was 2 mo. pregnant. She wanted to quit drugs but was told that it would be harmful to the fetus if she went through withdrawls. She was referred to a methadone clinic where she was drug tested and given methadone. She saw a Doctor and counsler every week. They would up her dose every 2 weeks saying "you need to increase because the fetus is taking more of the meds as she grows inside you and she would withdraw if she didn't go up on dose and this would be harmful to the fetus." They continued this throughout the pregnancy. When she delivered her baby, she was at 95mg. The baby has been in ICU now for almost 3 weeks and the Doctors at the hospital say that she will need to stay at least 2 more weeks. THIS WAS NEVER TOLD TO HER BY HE CLINIC! They only told her "your baby will be a plump, healthy baby" The hospital started giving the baby methadone and have been decreasing the dose everyotherday. My daughter is still going to the clinic and is now lowering her dose also. She (baby) is now down to .25 Tomorrow her dose will be .20 My question is WHY 2 more weeks? By Tues. baby will be at .15, Thurs .10 and Sat .05 My daughter is breastfeeding. Isn't there at least .05 in tHe breastmilk??? The baby weighs 8.7 lbs and is a happy, healthy baby. This baby isn't a baby with a heart condition or a serious health condition, SHE NEEDS TO COME HOME TO HER LOVING FAMILY! Is it wrong for me to insist that she be released by Sat? She will still be getting a small amount of methadone through the breastmilk.
Thank you.

Tapering anyone from methadone is not done overnight. It is done slowly so as not to harm. Your daughter most likely has the choice of staying on methadone or tapering over time. Hopefully, she might consider maintenance as this is a chronic relapsing disease.

Go to the pregnancy section and click on "MOM"

I am not a doctor and I do not give medical advice. I have been a methadone advocate for many years. I have never been addicted to Opiates or have I ever been a Methadone patient.

Thanks for being George

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

my fiance is going thru the same thing. she is 9 months now and the babys due date is march 22nd. i was jus curious as to how long my baby will most likely be in the hospital for. im really nervous n scared jus as any new father wuld be but i kno ill be fine becuz i will NEVER leave my daughter like my father left me n my sisters. but anyway im also concerned about other things after shes born like i read that methadone babys are more high risk for having breathing problems while ther still infants. but as far as the breast milk thing goes, jus dnt breast feed your baby if you're that concerned. but i kno if your daughter has Hepatitis u CANNOT breast feed. becuz the baby culd extract hep that way. even tho if the mother has it, the baby will not.

Hi!! I am about to bring home an addicted 10 week old and was curious how your Granddaughter is doing now? This baby is my son's cousin and spent 4 weeks in the hospital detoxing. Any information you have would be wonderful!!!

My daughter is going through the same situation as yours, her baby has been in the hospital for a month and they tell they dont when he is coming home. His goes up and down with his dose. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

my son is just over 3 weeks old and his hospital is giving him morphine instead of methadone.. when my clinic told me hed be detoxed on methadone!! now im just freaked out and worried because theyve already had to up his dose of morphine and theyre trying to do it a 3rd time>?! wth?! i had a friend whose daughter was detoxed on methadone because we were both heroin addicts before we found out we were pregnant.. but her baby was in for 10 days got sent home but shortly after seizured then was hospitilzed for 3 more days. shes now 1 yr old n a completely normal toddler.. but as for my son im worried because theyre doing it differently than iv ever heard before.. anyhelp??   ?

My son was detoxes with morphine and is just about four weeks and is coming home Friday!! It certainly is so hard but there is always aight at the end of the tunnel, and the neonatologist will do what's best for baby! My opinion is the longer the stay the better it is for baby cause if baby goes home to early they can seize etc.