let me start by saying i have 1 beautiful healthy almost 3 year old baby girl. since then i've had one miscarriage about a year and a half ago. and about 9 months ago i started taking methadone. once i started that, my periods stopped for about 6 months, then started up again, though they are irregular. i've now had unprotected sex about 5-10 times. my question is - what are my chances of getting pregnant? with all the variable there, i'm worriedi wont be able to have more kids. with my daughter it was immidiate. please let me know thank you

Yes, you do have chances of getting pregnant again. You never said what and why you started using methadone 9 months ago. Is it an old habit, or…..there is another reason to it?
It is true that opioids often lead to either irregular or absent periods and may interfere with fertility that way but if you are irregular, it means that you are still ovulating and I reckon you need to play on the luck card.

If you are on a stable dose of methadone, there shouldn’t be much problem to the baby’s development, at least it would be less than if you decided to get off in the early pregnancy. You are not planning on giving up on methadone? If this is the case and you are trying to get pregnant, I think you should consult your doctor about already starting a prenatal care.

You should also be aware that your baby could become physically dependent and usually undergoes opioid withdrawal after birth. The withdrawal symptoms usually last for a week but some babies experience withdrawal symptoms even longer, up to a few months. They could suffer from symptoms like disturbed sleep and feeding, stuffy nose, sneezing, hiccups, vomiting, diarrhea, high-pitched crying, muscle spasms, irritability, excessive sucking, sweating, fever, seizures, breathing problems, etc

This other preson who replied to you obviosly has no clue what they're talking about. Methadone makes you 10 times more fertile than normal, and if you try to quit methadone while pregnant, you could kill your unborn baby. The withdrawals would be to hard on the weak fetus. You should talk to your doctor, but I'm telling you, I know for sure that you should STAY ON METHADONE IF YOU ARE PREGNANT!

Hello, I am on methadone, and this is my second pregnancy while being on methadone. I agree with Courtney that things are better for the mother and fetus if the methadone is continued. My daughter born 3 months ago came home with me with No withdrawl symptoms whatsoever. She and I BOTH tested negative for methadone even though I was taking 80mg every single day. I was on the liquid and tests were showing that in our case and in many cases even, that while pregnant the metabolism speeds up dramatically causeing the methadone to be used up just as quickly as it enters the body. Now, although this may not be the case for everyone, and the effects may vary from disc to liquid as liquid kicks in quicker and leaves quicker as well, my daughter and I were ablsolutely fine. She needed no medicines at all. I know that GOD had a hand in this as well as science and anatomy, and I thank Him everyday for letting us ease by this effect free. Now, since I am pregnant again and still on methadone, I know that every child is different so I would be nieve to think that we are destined for the same results as before. I know I have to watch my dose and my have to feel a little uncomfortable here and there to keep my dose low, but no withdrawl as withdrawl is deadly to the baby. There is a fine line it seems between babies needing treatment after birth and babies not needing treatment. The pendulum(sp) could swing in your favor or not. The most important thing is the safety of your child, just remember that while methadone is very seldomly stopped or decreased while pregnant, it can be done with careful medical procedures and should only be done under the advice of the primary caregiver. Good luck to all who are in this same situation, and remember what is was I said about our Father, these are exactly the issues we must pray about and trust in the Lord because with Him all things are possible. Love and Good Luck, Kristie. ;-)

I have been on Methadone for 17 year's and during this time I have had 2 pregnancy's both resulting in Jack my 4 year old son, and Laken my 16 month old daughter being born addicted. It created a huge amount of needless suffering for them. However, you should not stop taking your Methadone while being pregnant as it can cause serious harm to your unborn baby. In most cases, and in mine, I actually had to be given a moderate increase of Methadone as the babies were taken so much of it. I said I would never allow myself to get pregnant again after seeing what Jack went through the first several weeks of his life, However...accident's do happen...ooop's 8-| They were given Phenobarb. to combat the pains of having no more Methadone, which is no way for a babies life to begin, but everyone's circumstances differ, and each person is different, but if at all possible if there is even a remote possibility that you will ever be "Drug Free" then wait to have babies. They deserve the best start they can get, and Methadone will never offer that. ------Asia

I got pregnant while taking methadone for chronic pain. My doctor took me off it cold turkey, and that caused a miscarriage. So if you do get pregnant DON'T let your doctor take you off, even a taper is dangerous while your pregnant. The baby can't handle all the stress your body goes through while in withdrawl. You can't even think about eating, you go to the bathroom 100 times a day or more. You throw up constantly. Cry constantly. No baby could live through that. :cry: So if you do get pregnant, make sure your doctor understands the risks of stopping methadone. Go to Methadone watchdog stories. There's a good story on there about your situation. And don't worry about not getting pregnant. When God says it's time it will happen. :)

I just found out I am pregnant! This is such a blessing considering doctors told me it was probably impossible. God is powerful and thru prayer we recieved the best surprise of our lives. As a matter of fact we were praying for a baby assuming it would come thru adoption and we just started taking adoption certification classes two weeks ago! Now here I am nausious and tired but THANKFUL beyond words. There is one major concern though since I am currently taking a pretty high dose 2 times a day of oxycontin. I knew that stopping was dangerous but I wanted to try to ween us off very slowly over the next 8 months. So as to have us clean by the birthday ("us" being the baby & me). I believe God can and will take care of us and I really liked reading the message from MEOWEOSKI that encouraged me to keep having that faith. I was just wondering if anyone has had expieriences with oxycontin specifically. Is it the same as methedone? should I switch to methedone? I want to do whats best for this blessing of a baby no matter how sick it makes me feel or how much pain it puts me thru. I also know how painful withdrawl can be so I can not imagine causing my baby to go thru that. I am hoping to hear good things from people and I look forward to reading any positive responsise.Thank you!

im a 25 yr ex heroin addict now stable on methadone you can get pregnant on methadone (as im 8 wks pregnat) this iss my thi9rd baby .i was on heroin with my first 6 yrs ago and got on a meth script and got down to 10mls with no other drug use unfortunately though my baby girl was stillborn the drug use had nothing to do with this. i then got pregnant while using again and on a script with my second as soon as i found out i stopped using heroin and reduced my script down to 5mls for the birth i had a healthy beautiful boy who didnt suffer no withdrawls at all he is now 2 and a half' im now pregnant with my third and i am on 45mls daily so yes you can get pregnant but you can also have beautiful healthy babies too, ive also found i am actually more fertile when i am not using and i have x amount of friends who have concieved while using or on a script .

I can totally relate to all your posts, i am watching the tv. about Anna nicole smith and i wanted to check out what taking methadone can do while pregnant. I am on oxycontin, sniffing it...i really need and want to stop but the withdrawel symptoms are so bad, and i am scared....i am afraid to try metadone because of the deaths that i heard about, i know oxys arent any better, but this past year i was pregnant and had terminated it (please dont judge) it was the hardest thing i ever had to do, i tried to stop the oxycontins, i couldnt get through 2 days, and i couldnt put an innocent life through the withdrawels i was feeling...i am 20 yrs old and not ready to be a mom, the pregnancy was unplanned....i am trying to help myself and get my body back on track, i need to stop oxycontin, can anyone help me who knows about quitting??? is there anything to ease the pain of withdrawel? i cannot keep going at this speed, i will die...please help, anything is appreciated, ty so much, and good luck to u all

This post is directed to relate1, but obviously anyone else who can draw any help/inspiration/debate from it welcome.
First off, the termination. I am in favour off a realistic, practical and caring approach to abortions, i am 26 and not totally ready, settled and prepared for life myself so how would it be fair to bring a child into this highly challenging world as it's parent when i am not ready? Not fair i beleive, the hords of teenage mothers pushing pushchairs when they should be growing up are cheating themselves of a impoetant part of their lives, brave as they are i still think it is a sad situation. No one should judge you for your choice. no one with a heart anyhow.
Secondly, Quitting. oh boy nonusers think it is as easy as puking, shittin and shakin for a few days then you're fine, they do not comprehend the total nervous breakdown that accompanies the supreme physical pain we go through...i've heard BS readitallfromabook drug counsellers compare the herion/methadone rattle to giving up smoking, may the God Of Irony inflict them with a plague of withdrawl syptoms for eternity the horrible bastards.
I presume that you are in the states because you use Oxy, i dont know much of their treatment programs but get down there and get some methadone or subutex if available in USA, i'm not a massive fan of methadone but when in a good matinence program it can help very much, just 1 step at a time, as a heroin user for on and off 10 years, (only the last 3 have been habitually problematic) the way i look at it is you have to be prepared to spend as much time climbing out of the pit as you did falling/being in it.
Thats all i can say right now i just hope you read it and it helps, if you want to get in touch post back and i'll give you my email,
kind regards and best wishes to all.
UJX

MEOWEOSKI, COULD YOU PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE E-MAIL ME PERSONALLY OR ANYONE WITH INFO ON PREGNANCY AND METHADONE? iM ON 90ML AND THINK I AM. PLS WB/ ****** all lower.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I see every where about the effects if the mother is on meth but what about the father. Would it hurt the baby or cause defects? my husband and i want to start a family but he is on a extremely high dosage. lets just say actually lethal dose for his back pains. what could this do??

:'(

Hello everyone. New to this so bare with me. I am currently 8 months pregnant and I've got to say I'm worried sick since I am on subutex and have been throughout my pregnancy. Before I got pregnant I was on Suboxone and then they switched me to Subutex. As i understand it, there is simply not enough information on subutex in pregnancy to establish how safe it is. I went to visit a maternal fetal medicines specialist who assured me that even though there were few studies, the ones that have been done were very good. Some even suggest that withdrawal is even less likely in infants with subutex than with methadone. But I have to say, I have been getting mixed opinions on it from all my doctors. I pray that I made the right decision and my baby will be ok. I am only on 4 mg. down from 16, I'm pretty sure that it's a low dose and I hope all ends up ok. If anyone has been through this or has any info, please write. _[removed]_
Thanks and god bless.

I just found out I am 7 weeks pregnant. I am taking 10mg of methadone a day am I am trying to quit and this is as low as I can go right now to deal. I was just wanting some advice.
Please respond and let me know if I should continue to take this or try to quit cold turkey. I am scared!!

[Hi there.....I was doing the same thing you are doing for 5 years, sniffing oxys and other painkillers. Now i have been clean for over a year and without methadone I don't think it would have happened. I think methadone saved my life and my boyfriends. We started at a pretty low does, and then went up gradually to about 80mg, now I have been slowly going down for about the last 5 months, I am down to 25mg, and feeling great. It is a bit hard going down, but nothing like coming off oxy's. I think you should consider methadone, it is very safe, and the doctors will start you out on a low dose and moniter you very closely to see how you do. Just imagine your life sober, no more wasting money, and no more wasting your life away. Good luck!!