We are looking into adoption and there is a mother who is on Methadone.
What contraindications are there on the baby becoming addicted?

First of all, congradulations on adopting! Also, I think it's great that you would consider a baby who will be methadone addicted. I just gave birth to my beautiful, big, very happy baby boy 12-05-2005. He's almost 2 now. He was born addicted to methadone. I was in a horrible car accident, that left me wth easter baskets of pain pills. The most effective and safest way to go through pregnancy was methadone. The first couple weeks were heartbreaking I won't lie. But, honestly he did great. I breastfed so he was able to come down very slowly. I know not everyone can do that, and I'm very greatful that I could. By the third week we brought him home. If you do your research you'll find out what I'm about to tell you. There is no evidence that methadone addicted babies have ANY future difficulties. My son is a perfectly healthy happy baby boy, w/ no memory of those first couple weeks. Lots of babies are born with something to go through, as long as you can provide the caring, nurturing, and love that he/she needs. That's really all that matters. I think it's great what your doing. This baby may need you more than you know.
I hope any of this helped. Just remember...NO EVIDENCE of any long term difficulties. My son, Jaden, he's not the only baby I've been involved w/ when mothers are addicted to oppiates. It's kind of become my little way of giving something back. Also this is very important! A good pediatrician, and nursing staff will make that baby as comfortable as possible. Unless someone has been through it first hand. PLEASE do not pay any attention to the horror stories.\
Aloha,
Jannelle

I am a 38 yr old mother of 3 children. For 21 years I have suffered with debilitating migraine headaches. Headaches so bad I would be in the hospital for days at a time. Every woman on my mother's side also had this terrible gene. After years of meds, chiropractors, sinus surgeries, TMJ therapy, and even Indian chief herbal tries, I was referred to a pain clinic and put on Methadone and Topamax. This combination saved my life, my marriage, and my ability to be a mom without pain. I am an RN and became pregnant with my third child why I was working for my OB-Gyn doctor. He was aware of my pain issues and the Methadone. He advised me my benefits far outweighed my risks if I stopped the Methadone. I stayed on it all 9 mos, and when my son was born, the neonatologists withdrew his slowly. He is now 4 1/2 yrs old, and is the most robust, active, imaginative, and incredibly well adjusted child in the world! I was extremely nervous about this drug while pregnant, but all my doctors assured me there was little risk. If you could not take anything while pregnant, that is the best, but sometimes you just can't.

Im so happy to see there are intelligent, competent people replying to these posts. It just makes me sick when I read the posts from people who have NO IDEA what theyre talking about!! Congrats on doing the loving and caring thing... (the best for what your circumstances allowed)