Hi Everyone -
I'm in a TERRIBLY frightening situation - and need ANY ANSWERS I can get because I have two doctors that are telling me to GET OFF Methadone for the SAKE of my unborn child, and then ONE JUST YESTERDAY that told me to STOP TAPERING AND STAY WHERE I'M AT - surprised I got THIS FAR in the pregnancy since I had been weaning off Methadone - as told by two OTHER doctors ....

I take 40mg of Methadone daily - one dose at around 11am, and one dose before bed around 9pm .... I WAS TAKING 40mg 6 x per day - and once pregnant, was told DON'T WEAN DOWN IN FIRST TRIMESTER, BUT WEAN AND COMPLETELY STOP THIS BEFORE THE THIRD - and they told me to do this BECAUSE IF I DIDN'T, MY POOR CHILD WOULD GO THROUGH WITHDRAWL.

I have LUPUS, severe joint pain and a degenerating back - which is why I've been on this for about a year and a half. I am now 25 weeks pregnant, and down to 40mg / day - because my OB told me to wean completely off this before I hit the third trimester.

I just saw my NEW OB (my old Ob was NOT a very nice person, had a terrible bedside manner and we just didn't like him so we made a lot of calls to switch mid-pregnancy) - who was SHOCKED that my PREVIOUS ob told me to wean, and that I need to stay where I'm at - and do not wean down anymore at all in this pregnancy - he also told me that the dose I'm at now, will not be too severe on my child at birth, due to the fact that it is such as low dose and split into 2x / day.

Now, FRIGHTENED - but after a THOROUGH CHECK of the baby, she's doing PERFECT. Her heartbeat is WONDERFUL and she's growing HUGE! She's moving ALL OVER THE PLACE and we have a doppler here to check on her that we've had since day one BECAUSE I was always nervous that I had been taking Methadone and got pregnant. I can promise you, that I will NEVER FORGIVE myself for getting pregnant while on this. My husband and I had tried for a YEAR to get pregnant, and even tried CLOMID 6 cycles (spread out of course) so I did not think for a second that I could just get pregnant doing normal things -- since we had tried for so long. So we had planned to GET OFF THIS before getting pregnant of course, well - lo and behold I GOT PREGNANT ANYWAY unexpectedly.

My NEW OB told me that he is VERY SURPRISED that I made it this far in my pregnancy and that he had 4 other patients that screwed up their dosing of this drug, or tapered off AGAINST HIS ADVICE and all 4 went through a very painful FETAL DEMISE in the Third Trimester. He said that since I was OK right now, and SHE WAS OK right now - being that I have been on this dose for about 4+ weeks right now - to STAY WHERE I'M AT and that if something was going to happen to her, it would have happened before yesterday, that if I stay where I'm at, I will most likely be ok. (Or should I say SHE will be ok?).

My general practitioner AND OLD OB told me to GET OFF. Now HE'S telling me that I could have killed my baby??

My god, I can't even BREATHE I'm so terrified now - I can't stand to see my poor baby go through withdrawels, it will KILL ME. But I also don't want to kill her in UTERO either?? What in the HECK am I supposed to do here?

If I have a choice, I'd like to at least wean down to like 10mg or even 20mg per day, BEFORE SHE IS BORN and her due date is Oct. 25th - but if I cannot do this safely - and be GUARENTEED that she'll be ok - then I have to stay ON THIS and watch her go through withdrawls.

I don't know who to call to speak with, everyone keeps telling me to "Go with what my OB says" - BUT WHICH ONE?? I'VE GOT THREE DOCS TELLING ME VERY CONFLICTING THINGS and I'm SO SCARED of what to do next --

If anyone has any information, or knows of any DOCTORS I can speak with about this to get the RIGHT INFORMATION - please help ... I'm FRANTIC now that I've hurt her already, and even MORE FRANTIC of what's going to happen to her NOW.

Thank you to ANYONE who can help.
KatieC

hi, i would go with the doctors advice here, and stay exactly as you are.if he thinks the baby and you are fine as you are now, follow his advice.
You should never just come straight off methadone, it can have fatal concequences for the child and yourself. The child will probably only have to go through very small withdrawal because of the dose, but remember, it's not your fault, you need it for pain relief.
The doctors will take the best care of the baby if she has to withdrawal.
If the baby is healthy, plz don't blame yourself too much.
I have seen people just stop taking there methadone,it's not pretty.
I would say go with the best doctors advice, don't wean off untill the baby is born.
stay as you are and good luck with the child.

flowerchild1

I hate doctors for that very reason. I always get conflicting opinions from them. I would go see another doctor and see what they say. Then go with majority rules. Call an advice nurse. Go to the ER for back pain or cramping and ask them. Good Luck !!!

Hello. I am on Methadone while pregnant also and I can tell you one thing DO NOT quit. What happens is when you feel any type of withdrawls the placenta pulls away from the baby and can cause a stillbirth. I am on 47 mgs a day split dose and was also tapering and was told by ALL of my Drs. to STOP!! So for yours and your babys sake I would stop tapering and just stay comfotable while pregnant. Your baby will go through little or no withdrawl and medical science is brilliant these days and prevent anything bad from happening to the little one after a methadone birth. Talk to you later.

Jemealia

Hello; I work in a methadone clinic currently and we run in to this scenario frequently. As I aide in running the groups for pregnant women, I will tell you that it is HIGHLY UNSAFE for your unborn child for you to attempt to taper your dose down to nothing. Your child will run the risk of having withdrawals once he or she is born (and doctors who are knowledgable about methadone treatment will know how to handle them), but this is not a guaranteed risk. Many mothers who receive a high dose of methadone in pregnancy give birth to babies who show no ill-effects. It varies from person to person. I reiterate, though, that all research shows your safest bet is to remain on the methadone - your dose may in fact need to increase as your baby develops in your body. Trust the staff at your clinic - methadone treatment is their expertise.

To the Guest who posted above, it sounds like a difficult situation to be in but I appreciate what you're saying. It doesn't make intuitive sense that you should stay on methadone but it makes a lot of sense the way you've described it. I think that your information is very valuable so thank you for posting. I will try to remember for the future so I can help advise someone in that sort of situation.

I am a nursery nurse and have seen many babies withdraw from Methadone. Although I can not tell you the risks of weaning while pregnant and I would advise you to research a little deeper. I can tell you that it is quite heartbreaking to watch babies go through withdrawing. I find it odd that it takes an adult years or decades to withdraw from Methadone, but clinics are telling moms that their babies will not have withdrawel symptoms or will wean quickly. They should spend a day with us in the nursery.

i was on 45mg took 1/2 in the am and 1/2 at night when I was prego with 2nd child. She came out fine and started withdrawing within 48 hours,but they made her feel very comfortable. It broke my heart but the doctors know what they are doing. My daughter was very comfortable as she was weened off.U don't want to risk losing the baby

To the Nursery Nurse above: The reason it takes adults so long to wean off methadone is very different than the reason babies wean off methadone. As a NURSE you should know this. Adults can be medically detoxed off methadone as fast as decreasing by 5mg a day. Or they can choose to go down by only 1mg a year! It's up to each individual and how long it takes someone to completely come off of methadone is completely up to that person and is based on several factors...that of which wouldn't apply to a newborn baby. Newborns don't have cravings and do much better with detox (as they've only been exposed to the medicine for 9 months or less) than an adult that has been addicted to drugs, goes through drug cravings, and has probably been exposed to methadone for a MUCH longer period of time. A huge factor in how long it will take someone to COMFORTABLY detox off the methadone has A LOT to do with how long they were on it for. So Nurse Betty, do your research before making such generalized comments that make no sense whatsoever while judging an entire population of people that are just as normal as you are!

So how did your baby end up handeling the withdrawal of the methadone after you gave birth? I am curious because I am on methadone and I am 26 weeks pregnant.

im also 26 weeks pregnat and on methadone but a very low does. ive been on this damn comp all night looking for answers but all i find is critisism. i would like to just stop taking it completely because i dont want my baby taken away. i will never forgive myself for getting into this mess.

I am so sorry you have found so much critisism! The BEST thing you can do for your baby is STAY ON METHADONE!!!!! My daughter Had a beautiful baby boy 17 day ago. She was on 60mg of methadone for about 3 months. Any EXPERT will tell you, it doesn't matter how much you are on or for how long, some babies withdraw and some do not. It simply depends on the baby. Everyone is different. But, stopping your methadone is not only HELL for you but is harmful for your baby! My Grandson Jay, went threw withdraw but was quickly put on methadone to make him feel better. The hospital he is in sends babies home on methadone and they slowly ween off from home under dotors care. I noticed the part where you said you dont want your baby taken away. Dont worry!!! Yes the hospital does call CYS when a baby is born to a mom on methadone. BUT, so far the clinic in our area has never had a mom lose thier baby. Mostly CYS gets involved to help the parent in any way they can. There are MANY things they can help you with to make your life a little easier. There is one thing I want to make you and EVERY mom on methadone aware of!!! My grandson was born on a Wednesday and sent home the following Thursday. The day he was sent home his poop was almost like diarreaha. Around 10pm Sunday night he was back in the hospital with SEVERE withdraw. We thought it was because the day he was sent home his dose was lowered from 3 times a day to 2 times. Well, the hospital notified CYS that he was back and Tuesday they came in and told my daughter that they had a judge sign papers that gave them custody and they have to go to court next week to see if they get him back. Well, we were devastated and started investagating why he was in WD right away cause the hospital said he didnt get methadone for 2 days. I knew that was BS cause I saw my daughter give him his med. After 4 days of talking to everyone we could think of at the hospital and the clinic and having ppl sign papers as to how well my daughter and her bf took care of him in the hospital and all and after they kept insiting they did nothing wrong and that his WD was the hospitals fault the doctor decided to do some tests on Jay. See, when he went back to the hospital he had SEVERE diarreaha to the point was pure water and smelled like formula. He would eat and poop at the same time. And he was dehydrated. He was litterally having his diaper changed 4 times an hour. The hospital originally assumed it was just from WD. THANKFULLY after the way my daughter insisted she did nothing wrong and with the way she was asking questions and investigated everything the hospital did, the doctor decided to run some tests. The one test she ran came up positve. Turns out my daughter did NOTHING wrong like we said!!! Jay had a positive result for the Rotavirus!!!!!! It causes watery diarreaha and dehydration like Jay had!! The doctor found out that because of the SEVERE diarreaha Jay's body didnt have time to digest the methadone or his food. He was pooping everything out as soon as it went in!!! She is telling CYS what she found out and writing a letter to the judge!!! Thankfully, my daughter will not lose her son!! I want you and every mom to know this becaue if the doctor hadnt run that test my daughter wouldve lost her baby! The doctor said they had never seen that happen before so they didnt think to look for that. They assumed my daughter wasnt giving Jay his med. So please, if someone thinks you did something wrong and all signs say you did and you know you didnt be proactive!! NEVER give up and never stop investagating and harrassing until you get answers!!!! I just wonder how many ppl may have lost thier babies from having them taken away cause they were accused of neglecting thier baby by not giving them thier methadone or whatever med they are on when in fact it was due to the rotavirus that the baby wasnt digesting its med. Good luck to you!! I am sure your baby will be fine!!

maybe you should spend those years or decades with the addicts who are withdrawling from opiates! yes it is horrible that our children have to go through such a thing but i belive that the only time its a truly horrible act is when a mother CHOOSES to do illicit drugs while pregnant...and knows shes harming the child....its different wwhen women have been on methadon or subutex and got pregnant. Take a look at it differently, no mother wants her baby to go through that.

Firstly, I want to commend you for thinking of your baby first before yourself in this matter. I know that it is best to think of yourself in certain situations but taking the baby into consideration is definitely important as well. I have been on Methadone for the past 8 years and although I have been thinking of getting off for the last year or two, now that I am pregnant of course, (not expected but not prevented either) I knew I wanted to get off sooner than later. I talked to many people, looked on the internet, and talked to some doctors. I told my nurse practitioner that I wanted to get off methadone because I didn't want my child dependent on it when he/she was born. The nurse said that although it is not recommended to ween during the 1st or 3rd trimester, if I was monitored closely and did the weening with the help of the doctors it was possible. She said that it is mostly recommeded that people get off of methadone in the 2nd trimester but since she will be monitoring me and other doctors will be as well she will ask the doctor and start the weening process. I was still in my 1st trimester when I started this process. I have gone down 2 miligrams every five days and I was thinking about asking to go down another miligram or two every five days. I have done fine through the process except I do feel a little tired, scratch that, I feel a lot tired. I have been taking it easy. My fear is that I will be thinking more about getting off methaone than thinking about my health as well as the baby's (even though I initially started this process so my baby would be as healthy as can be) and I won't tell the doctors when I start feeling more ill. My advice to you would be to continue to ween unless it is starting to get bad. If the withdrawals are too much than stop. What you are feeling, your baby is feeling so keep that in mind. There is no reason you can't stop the weening process during the 3rd trimester, (they usually say that most people need to go up in their dose during the 3rd trimester because the increase in blood supply will make you burn through it faster) and then get back on the weening train when you have the baby. I know you don't want the baby to go through withdrawals and there is no way to know if your baby actually will. I know plenty of mothers who have been on methadone while pregnant who were on over 100mg of methadone and the baby didn't need it, and there are mothers who have been only only 30mg of methadone that do find the baby needed to be weened off after the birth. You just never know. Just make sure you are doing it safely would be my wish for you, and my wish for myself for that matter. I know it's easy to give advice than to take it yourself. I wish you the best of luck in this process and hopefully you know and tell yourself that you are doing the right thing by getting advice and listening to your doctor

Thank you so much for this, just found out I am 5 Weeks pregnant and I don't want my baby taken away and don't want my baby to withdraw.I've been looking for info and its all saying stay on methadone but that us not an option I won't do it.if you have any more info I'd really appreciate it, 

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use