Ok, for a few weeks now I have this pain in my left foot, especially when I walk...it's in the ball of my foot, sometimes it feels like there's a little marble in there...I can really feel pain if I lift my #2 toe (next to big toe) up.

Weird thing is, occassionally the pain is almost completely gone - then an hour later I'm limping.

I went to the foot doctor, they took xrays and she "thinks" I have a neuroma - she said it's not a "Morton's" neuroma, but she said I have like no space between the bones of two "toe bones" - lol - whatever you call them - the bones in your foot, not toes ;-)

After reading some articles, I'm pretty afraid of surgery with all the horror stories - the doctor didn't even suggest that as an option. She suggested some different foot excersizes, and maybe steroid injections.

I don't want to get injections every few weeks, or whatever - I want it fixed.

Why can't they shave the bones down to allow more space for the nerve?

What are my options?

Thanks for any input!

hi, maybe the reason why they did not suggest any surgery is because foot is extremely complicated. Lots of bones and nerves. So they are keeping the surgery as a last option. From my point of view, surgery should be an option. But i think you are better of if you start some exercises, maybe there is no need for an invasive procedure. Or even if you try steroid injections. Yes, it can be quite scary and everything but the sooner you solve your problem the better your life will be. You will not waste you energy anymore worrying about your foot problem. My suggestion is to try whatever doctor wants you to try, if its exercise then exercise. If its a surgery than go for it. 

I have had numerous Morton neuroma surgeries. I am not a doctor, but I can tell you to avoid it It's really a one shot deal. If you do it, ask the dr. about tucking the cut nerve into a muscle. Whenever they cut a nerve it will grow back - mine all did. If you need surgery again it will most likely results in AWFUL lumpy sensations in the foot and scar tissue that wreaks havoc inside your foot. I now need surgery under the foot because the last 2 over the foot have caused AWFUL problems. I hear this over and over again from people. Just when you think things are bad, the surgery can make it worse. I don't think doctors should do the surgery at all. Ask your dr about orthotics, place a THIN pad under the neuroma area (the thick pads they give you can cause it to cramp more), physical therapy, massage, - anything but surgery.

Hi!

I have had the SAME exact problem for going on 4 years now. I wore heals out one night and the next morning, felt like there was a marble/ pebble in the ball of my left foot between my second and third toe. I went to see a doctor he diagnosed it as Morton's Neuroma. I found that it was increasingly painful when I would run or jump. It was frustrating because I am very active and constantly on my feet. He suggested Cortisone Injections. I did about 7 every week and the pain did not go away. I ended up stopping all heavy activity, which included running, soccer, kickboxing.. etc. The pain ended up fading and would only come back every now and then. I actually didn't feel it for almost a year and was even able to wear heals again and I started doing spin classes as a way to eleviate pressure from my foot. However, the past two months I started running again (risky) and the pain in my foot came back worse than ever before. I couldn't even walk or stand without feeling the pain. It was also summertime and I have been wearing a lot of sandales, which the doctor told me not to do. He said to wear sneakers everyday. (sorry for being a girl and not wanting to wear sneakers to work or a bar). So I went back to a doctor again and he has started doing alcohol injections... which are also NOT working at all. I have read up on surgery options and I have yet to hear any positive feedback... so I am avoiding that at all costs. I suggest going to see another doctor and getting cortisone shots or alcohol injections. I hope you have better luck than me. :)

I had this surgery and it was awful - had to wheel myself around in a contraption for 6 weeks, no weight on foot at all. They put a post in my 2nd toe, painful!!! It still isn't right. My advise to anyone is avoid it if you can.

I actually had Morton's Nerouma as well. I work as a treatment advisor for soft tissue injuries and hear of plantar fasciitis and metatarsalgia often, but not commonly Morton's nerouma. The difference lies in where your pain it. If the pain is in your heel and arch, it is typically Plantar Fasciits. If it is on the ball of your foot; Metatarsalgia. But if it is further down the pad, between your 3rd and 4th toes (metatarsals), then it is usually Morton's Nerouma. I only had pain underneath and between my 3rd and 4th toe, no where else. I couldn't put weigh down on that side of my foot and was limping quite a bit. I treated with cold for about 4 days, resting my foot on a cold pack about 3-4 times a day then started using the BFST Wrap (blood flow stimulation therapy). I talk to people everyday about this treatment and I'm glad I got to experience the results first hand. Within 2 months I was back to normal, no longer limping. This helps any soft tissue injury as it simply promotes more blood flow to the area. Increased blood flow brings more nutrients and more oxygen, accelerating the healing process. I also used tape which I think made a HUGE difference. Foot problems seem to be the the second most common ailment I hear of, next to meniscus tears. I put in the link for exactly what I did...hope this helps someone else out there:)

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

For me, surgery is my last optuon if possible and I would follow what the doctor's advice.