Hello, I am 48. During this last year I had 6 months of menstrual bleeding: whole month of last July (heavy), November through January (3 months - very heavy non-stop), May & June (2 months not too heavy, but non-stop). Ultrasound in September & February showed fibroids, I had uteral biopsy last September, came back normal. My doctor advised me to purschase Mirena IUD with hormones. The bleeding became a little lighter, but still - I just had 2 months of non-stop bleeding. I feel pressure in my lower abdomen. She says it is pre-menoposal, but for 6 months? Does it sound normal even for peri-menopouse? I am worried about cancer, especially ovarian. Should I get second opinion? Please help, I am worried & wouldn't want to miss on something & then to discover that it is too late. Please help. Thank you.

Im 48.5 and have been doing the same thing. My MD hasnt referred me to a gyn yet. I was wondering if your situation resolved? How long it actually lasted before it finally ended? This is very worrisome to me. My life is pretty much on hold until this is resolved.

I am 22 and have been experiencing the same thing. I have seen two gyn's and they both put me on birth control but that doesnt resolve the issue. Did you receive any help?

I am 33 years old, had my 1st child 2 years ago. Before that, my period was very irregular (6 months without) plus extremely painful (fainted and went to emergency)! When I was 19, I started taking the pill. It helped in regulating the periods but it also gave me some side affects I didn't want. When I was 23, I tried the injection which stops me from producing eggs and hence stopping my period all together. each needle was only for 3 months and I took 3 needles over 9 months. As I was afraid that my eggs would have problems because of the injections, I decide to stop taking the injections. My next period didn't come until I was 25. Freaked out that I won't get a chance to have babies, I did all kinds of test. all results turned out normal. My doctor advised me to just wait it out, "most women will become regular after having their first child" he said. When I got married at 28, I thought it would be easy to have kids, but after trying for 2 years with no results, my mother told me to try Chinese traditional medicines. Sparing the details, the doctor was able to regulate and "Un-pained" my period from the first month and by the third month I was pregnant. But it hasn't ended yet. As I didn't want to harm the baby, I stopped taking the chinese medication. Had a wonderful birth, beautiful boy that I breastfed till he was self-weaned at 1 year old. That's when the problems appeared again. Although my period doesn't hurt any more, it lasts forever. the longest one was for almost 4 months, has clots, and is heavy some days and light some days. As I am trying for a second child, I went back to the chinese doctor again. He says ..."that the blood clots in my body never left and has built up instead. As my body wants to cleanse itself of the clots (bad blood) it will constantly try to flush it out with bleeding, hence the long periods." He gave me a few different medicines that I am still having.
My husband's version of what the doctor said is as follow "your body is like a toilet. the blood clot is like a big poo that is in the toilet. normally you press the button once, it will go away...but in your case it doesn't, so you are constantly pressing the button. The bad thing here is that because your body doesn't have the normal 28 days to fill up the water(blood) the poo stays there and you become anaemic from the lack of blood."
Anyways, Treatment. The doctor first gives me medication to stop the bleeding . Then gives me medication to increase my blood flow. In time, this should help me flush out all the clots and allow me to have a regular period again.
Finally, hope this may help someone. My suggestion is to go see a chinese doctor with a good reputation as sometimes they are just not good. Personally I went through 5 different doctors before I got to my current doctor. Also, unlike western medication, Chinese herbs take longer to work, so give it some time. But my theory is if I don't see an improvement in one month time I change to another doctor.

In 2008 I had experienced an 8-month non-stop period.

I was given 1 shot of GH-3 every other day for four days.

On the third day, my period had stopped.

To insure that this would work I was given the last shot. I’m happy to say this cured the problem.

PAM ...  ***this post is edited by moderator *** ***
private e-mails not allowed***
Please read our Terms of Use