Hi. Two days ago, I noticed I was experiencing a thick, black discharge, which I figured was just spotting. It has turned out to be my period, but it is a week early, and it is black and chunky. I asked my mother if this is normal and she said it might be stress, and not to worry about it. But I have been far more stressed before and this has never happened. What gives?

By the way, there is no abdominal pain associated so far. Very, very mild occasional cramps.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Google turned up nothing.

I don’t think this is anything serious. I am always getting such dark spotting before I actually get my period. It usually lasts a day or two, it really is dark at the beginning and later it becomes lighter and turns into real blood. It also happens when my period is about to be over. The discharge I produce is a bit dark but more fluid. It is always like that, I am used to it and it is totally normal for me.
As you say this dark discharge happened to you for the first time, maybe you should talk to your gynecologist, the professional opinion would be more helpful I guess.
If you are experiencing the changes like this one, you know that something must changed in your organism. Maybe you really were under some stress or maybe you caught a cold or something, this could cause your period come earlier. Have you taken some antibiotics recently? Well, you need to pay attention to all the changes you are going through so that later you could possibly conclude what could all this be.

i just experienced the exact same thing today! i'm quite nervous about it... but i'm thinking i agree with your mother. i've been stressed lately, so i'm hoping thats what it is.

Do you take birth control? When I began taking birth control pills, my period became black and chunky as well.

the same thing happened to me today for the first time as well, and im 18. i'm not stressed so im not too sure what it could be...i have just gotten over a head cold but i find that highly unlikely to have caused my period to come a week early and blackish. if anyone knows anything can you please help.

same here. i'm on birth control and mone has been black and chunky for about four years

hey the same thing is happening to me too. i have my period about a week early and it has been a blackish color. i am on birth control and i guess some stress has been added to my life.

Same here. I'm 16 and my period is on normal time, but usually I bleed VERY heavily and it's over in four days. This time it's very dark and not like regular blood at all. I haven't really been stressed and if I'm sick or were I'm not aware of it.

OK, so its 1:00 am and I woke up to got pee. I decided to change my tampon, when I pulled it out it was BLACK...totally black. I rushed to the computer and read tons of postings and got mixed message of people freakin out as well as people saying it's no big deal. I called my OBGYN and was connected to an on-call OBGYN at the hospital...(he was the doc that delivered my baby) anyway, I just spoke to him and he sounded like I was stupid for freaking out. He said that its just old blood...I knew that already so I asked him "so, does that mean it has been in there fo a long time....because I have totally normal periods" He said NO. It just means the blood has been oxygenized which makes it turn black. I asked what that means and he said that my peiod blood has been exposed to air for a couple of hours and when it comes in contact with oxygen it turns black. He said it is NO BUG DEAL AT ALL. He didnt even say that if it persists to come in and get checked like he normally tells me! :-) FYI: I have NEVER POSTED any questions or answers on websits like this, I dont use forums..etc. But when I heard this I had to let you worried ladies know!! With that...it is now like 2am and Im going back to bed!! Night night....

OK, so its 1:00 am and I woke up to got pee. I decided to change my tampon, when I pulled it out it was BLACK...totally black. I rushed to the computer and read tons of postings and got mixed messages of people freakin out as well as people saying it's no big deal. I called my OBGYN and was connected to an on call OBGYN at the hospital...(he was the doc that delivered my baby) anyway, I just spoke to him and he sounded like I was stupid for freaking out. He said that its just old blood...I knew that already so I asked him "so, does that mean it has been in there for a long time....because I have totally normal periods" He said NO. It just means the blood has been oxygenized which makes it turn black. I asked what that means and he said that my peiod blood has been exposed to air for a couple hours and when it comes in contact with oxygen it turns black. He said it is NO BUG DEAL AT ALL. He didnt even say that if it persists to come in and get checked like he normally tells me! :-) FYI: I have NEVER POSTED any questions or answers on websits like this, I dont use forums..etc. But when I heard this I had to let you worried ladies know!! With that...it is now like 2am and Im going back to bed!! Night night....

Okay, so I am on my normal period cycle (with my birth control) and normally my period is brownish at first, then a few days before I start my news pills it turns red and gets heavy for a day or so. But lately it has been BLACK. And I mean very black. It was so dark and chunky today (sorry to be so descriptive) that I was trying to see if there was any red in it, and I couldn't! So now I am wondering if there is anything wrong with me. This has been happening for 3 days now. If it IS the birth control then they need to put some special label on it that says "Warning: this product will turn your period black and make you freak out and go onto the internet to find out why. Then you will be writing in chat rooms telling people about your awful experience with it. But don't worry, it is just these stupid pills." Maybe if there was something like that on the pills, I wouldn't think that my uterus is about to fall out! I guess I'll call my gyno tomorrow. . . Hope this made ya laugh! XD

I have the same problem. Except I'm 16 and I usually have 3 to 4 normal periods at normal times and then a black period comes along. I'm getting a little worried about it myself, I went on a real health website and the only thing that it said about 'discolored' periods was to consult a health professional. I'm pretty sure this all has to do with horomones (since periods are completly controlled by horomones) but horomones are difficult to map and so I reccomend going to a doctor, it's what I'm doing.

Also, if you leave a tampon in for extended periods of time then it will be black, especially if you were sleeping. It'I think it's different when it comes out by itself and it's black.

I was experiencing the same thing. This is SUCH a relief because lately I have been under a lot of stress and it seems that any signal that my body is telling me, makes me even more stressed. So, I am relieved to hear that this is normal!! :-) Thanks for the sharing of information!

I just started the Nuvaring. Prior to this, I never had black (tar-like) blood but since I've started, the ending of my period is just going on forever with black blood. Ussually I have long periods that last about 7-9 day. I'm now on my 9th day and still producing this goo. I guess it's old period blood that cannot be realeased becuase the ring blocks it. I don't know. I think it's perfectly normal. Maybe it's the chemicals released from the Nuvaring.

so i am 12 years old, and i got my period last january and i have been finding it quite irregular. this morning i noticed that some of my blood was dark black, and chunky. i dont feel confertable talking to my mom about it, but what do i do? is it normal? stress? should i tell my mother? HELPPP PLEASE!